Zimbra Server Feature Overview
A key advantage Zimbra Server has over many other systems is that it works well across a wide variety of deployment scenarios. This can be attributed to it's inherit stability, scalability, and modern feature set which appeals to both on-premises and hosted service customers using Zimbra in education, business, government, and financial services environments.
Simple, Familiar, and Cost-Effective
- Fast, easy install - all dependent components are packaged together in one simple installer
- Proven open source - built with Linux, Apache Tomcat, Postfix, MySQL, OpenLDAP, Lucene
- Efficiency and horizontal scalability - Zimbra server is 3-5x faster than comparable systems, plus each server has its own data store, message store, and set mailbox accounts. To scale simply add more servers.
- Easy to administer and maintain - familiar open source components, robust migration tools, key feature advantages like real-time backup and restore; intuitive Ajax-based web Admin Console
Mission Critical Features for Larger Organizations
- High availability - through clustering, application level journaling / clustering
- Backup and recovery - Live online move and restore of individual or a group of mailboxes without a service disruption; supports full and incremental backup
- Microsoft Active Directory integration - and easily add LDAP directories for authentication and Global Address Lists
- Built-in security - integrated anti-spam and anti-virus out of the box (SpamAssassin, ClamAV, plus add 3rd parties)
- Archiving and compliance- support to meet growing regulatory requirements in today's enterprise with Zimbra Archive and Discovery
Software as a Service (Saas) Ready
- Native hierarchical storage management - allows for cost effective multiple GB mail boxes by seamlessly moving off older messages to commodity storage
- Class-of-Service (COS) - easily manage features and storage quotas with COS.
- Multi-domain support - multi-tenancy domain-level administration and domain-level re-branding
- Service provider tools - such as limiting number of mailboxes per domain or allowing domain administrators to set their own storage quotas and security policies
Open and Flexible for Integration
- Uses industry standard open protocols - SMTP, LMTP, SOAP, XML, IMAP, POP, iCal, CalDAV
- Extensible with web services - connect other inter / intranet applications and data source via complete set of SOAP / REST web service APIs and Zimlets
- Native integration with popular clients - server syncs with Microsoft Outlook (via MAPI), Apple Desktop (iSync), Novell Evolution and popular mobile devices with no additional server needed
Complete ZCS feature list (PDF)