Thread: JAR file location for ZDesktop zimlet

pns
    pns is offline Member

Default JAR file location for ZDesktop zimlet

Hi folks...

Can't figure this simple problem out yet and the posts I 've read (incuding the Wiki instructions) do not seem to work, so any help would be much appreciated.

I am just trying to run the Java JAR example (i.e., the com_zimbra_example_javajar zimlet), but it doesn work, apparently because it can't find the corresponding class file (MyClass.class) using ZDesktop 1.0 over Linux (CentOS 5.5) and the _dev directory.

The Wiki does not mention anything about ZDesktop for the Development Directory (it only says: "If using the Development Directory, you need to manually copy the JAR file into place and restart your server for the Java classes to become available. The location to copy the JAR file is: {zcs-install-dir}/jetty/webapps/zimlet/WEB-INF/lib", which obviously refers to ZCS, not ZD).

Putting the JAR file in the zimlet path (i.e., inside .../_dev/com_zimbra_example_javajar/), or in a similar to the recommended ZCS location for ZDesktop (e.g., in {zd-install-dir}/jetty/webapps/service/WEB-INF/lib), does not work.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Last edited by pns; 07-04-2010 at 02:10 AM.

drums907 is offline Active Member

Which version of Zimbra and on What OS are you running it? I have found the instructions leave a little to be desired when you are running on a Windows Platform.

pns
    pns is offline Member

I am running Zimbra Desktop 1.0 over Linux (CentOS 5.5), as I just added in the original post. Still trying to figure things out with the JAR!

pns
    pns is offline Member

Hmmm... It now works, with the JAR file placed in {zd-install-dir}/jetty/webapps/service/WEB-INF/lib, irrespective of the name of the file (i.e., whatever.jar).

The trick is to restart the zdesktop daemon, i.e. run

{zd-install-dir}/zdesktop stop
    {zd-install-dir}/zdesktop start

because apparently shutting down zdesktop and restarting it does not do that.

All this under JDK 1.5.0, which is what zdesktop comes bundled with (JRE located in {zd-install-dir}/jre). Which means that you have to compile for 1.5.0, because compiling for 1.6.0 results in a java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError (bad version number in .class file).
    Last edited by pns; 07-04-2010 at 03:53 AM.

Thread Information