Thread: Tab-based Zimlet UI

deno085 is offline New Member

Default Tab-based Zimlet UI

I'm looking into developing a tab-based zimlet that will take external 'requests' and convert them into calendar appointments through it's UI.. I'd like to take advantage of the JavaScript API to handle the interface to the calendars but I don't see where I can build a user interface within the tab's workspace.

I can use AJAX calls to an external site to create the UI, but I was hoping there would be a JavaScript API component to generate theme-compliant user interfaces. Am I missing the documentation for this somewhere? I'm assuming this would be somewhat different than creating dialogs, isn't it?

I've looked at the template docs briefly, but I'm not certain these play in the tab workspace, and I couldn't really find a good example. Anyone have any background, links to good docs, or examples of a UI that fits into Zimbra themes?

Any feedback is appreciated!

sposetti is offline Former Zimbran

Have you read the Zimlet Dev Guide?

ZCS 6.0:Zimlet Developers Guide:Introduction - Zimbra :: Wiki

There are some examples for creating Tabs in Zimlets (as well as other things, like using Templates) in the doc as well.

sposetti is offline Former Zimbran

FYI: link to Templates section of the Dev Guide.

ZCS 6.0:Zimlet Developers Guide:Templates - Zimbra :: Wiki

I've been through the template docs, but building my zimlet out of templates still requires me to generate my own html, which may or may not play well with future releases of Zimbra, theme changes, etc..

My question was more of is there an API that generates the user facing HTML so my zimlet can remain version neutral and such.. For example I've seen JavaScript calls to add buttons to toolbars - so I don't have to generate that HTML.. Is there a JavaScript call to create my own toolbar? A list view that looks like the email message list? etc, etc..

I'm just doing due diligence to make sure I'm not circumventing something..

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Chris Walker

grahamb is offline Trained Alumni

I'll piggyback on this thread instead of starting my own as I had a similar question. I'm most interested in a programmatic way of building a tree view in the sidebar. I've looked at two Zimbra-supplied tab Zimlets (Social and Phone) and both seem to write out the tree HTML by hand, in all its ugly table-based markup and spacer image glory. I guess it would be possible to somewhat abstract it with templates but I'm hoping there's something better.
    Graham Ballantyne
    Simon Fraser University

We are indeed scratching the bark off the same tree.. I just finished digging through the social zimlet and came to the same conclusion.. I did go mucking around in the dwt documentation and code, but I haven't been successful in finding suitable documentation to work from..

Sadly, I may end up going the same route others have gone, which is to create my own UI, ignoring the widgets in zimbra.. seems like a punishable offense, but without that "here's how you implement DWT widgets in a zimlet" document, I don't think my project's timeline will allow a deep dive into this..

My "fallback" plan at this point is to use javascript-generated html to create a 'shell', and make ajax calls to fill in the content..

Hivos is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by deno085 View Post
    My "fallback" plan at this point is to use javascript-generated html to create a 'shell', and make ajax calls to fill in the content..
    In that case you may find this fresh blog post interesting: Using Templates to Simplify HTML and Zimlets » Zimbra :: Blog

Thread Information