Thread: Remote Access Zimlet

ctrader is offline Intermediate Member

Default Remote Access Zimlet

Not sure why my previous posts were flagged. I am making a new thread because I have not heard anything back from the moderators.

Below is my sketch of what the zimlet would look like.

I have not started coding or anything yet. I would appreciate any feedback or comments. Thanks.

Dirk is offline Moderator

You may have hit the spam filters, or there could have been a different problem. I see no locked posts for you though, and I didnt see any alerts either. Sorry you had problems.

Looking at the screenshot, I'm guessing that you want some form of VNC zimlet? A way to access other machines on the same network as the server via the web client?

It's possible, but there's no chance that I'd install such a thing on my server, there are better ways to accomplish the same thing, I'd feel uncomfortable having VNC exposed in this way.

ctrader is offline Intermediate Member

I wouldn't be using VNC for remote access directly from the web because of the inherent security issues. I'd probably use RDP. However what I would like to do is setup a reverse proxy on the zimbra server so that access to the remote machine can only be done through the zimbra server. Then once a user has authenticated through Zimbra (and has permissions to use the zimlet) they would then be allowed to access the remote machine. Direct access to the URL for the remote machine would not be allowed except by Zimbra.

This is still just an idea, but suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thread Information