Thread: [SOLVED] How to configure Flickr Zimlet?

hillman is offline Moderator

Default [SOLVED] How to configure Flickr Zimlet?

Has anyone managed to get the Flickr Zimlet working? I've enabled it, but it needs an API key which gets embedded into the JS file. The problem is, to sign up for an API key with Flickr, you need to provide a callback URL that your application uses to collect the authentication token from the end-user. There's no documentation anywhere in the zimlet on what that is, and from reading the code, I can't figure out how the Zimlet is able to get that info back..

So if anyone has done this already, I'd appreciate knowing how -- I'm giving a demo of Zimbra tomorrow and the Flickr zimlet looks really cool - I'd like to be able to show it off.

Steve Hillman
    Simon Fraser University

mmorse is offline Moderator

Hey hillman, for your demo tomorrow right click the Flickr Zimlet > authorize:

Then you can do things like upload received attachments or attach files from Flickr:

That should let you show it off
    If you're trying to enhance it so authorization isn't needed on every browser reload you might start by understanding how all these parts work:
    http:// api.flickr.com/services/upload/ + "?api_k ey=" + api_key + "&auth_token=" + auth_token + "&api_sig=" + api_sig + "&user_id=" + user_id;
    Last edited by mmorse; 05-21-2008 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Hey hillman, for your demo tomorrow right click the Flickr Zimlet > authorize:
    Actually, that doesn't work - it returns a "Flickr API/Secret key is invalid" error. My guess is that the API/secret keys that are hard-coded into the JS file are associated with whatever domain they were registered with - e.g. zimbra.com, and any attempt to use them from somewhere else fails.

So I need to create my own API key on the Flickr site (which I've done), but as part of the registration process, it asks for a callback URL, which is the URL the user gets kicked back to after they successfully authenticate to Flickr. As part of the pass-back, Flickr passes back a "?frob=<token>", which the zimlet (and maybe the JSP?) needs for further communication with Flickr. So the question is, what's the callback URL that magically gets that 'frob' value passed back to the Zimlet?

(PS: I wasn't sure whether it would require the user to reauthenticate every time they login to Zimbra - that would definitely limit its attractiveness. I'll have to give that one some thought )

Hm, now I'll have do do some digging.
    It works on both a personal 5.0.5 Ubuntu 6.06 setup & our own dogfood 5.0.6 candidate just fine...you on 5.0.2_GA_1975 NE RHEL5-64 from profile?

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Hm, now I'll have do do some digging.
    It works on both a personal 5.0.5 Ubuntu 6.06 setup & our own dogfood 5.0.6 candidate just fine...you on 5.0.2_GA_1975 NE RHEL5-64 from profile?
    The API key is assigned to us, and distributed by us. Users shouldn't change it unless they have their own.

We had a bad key earlier in 5.0, so you likely have that zimlet. So, upgrading will fix it, or download a copy, and grab the zimlet out of it, or have Mike send you the latest. That should fix it.

Incase you're not running 5.0.5 and/or don't have time to upgrade your demo/production box - sent you a copy of the 5.0.5 com_zimbra_yflickr.zip via email.

You pointed me in the right direction when you said it worked from your personal machine. As it turns out, the "Invalid key" error is just a generic "Could not talk to flickr.com" error. I'm not in the default COS and my ZimbraProxyAllowedDomains did not include the flickr.com domain. Once I added that in, it all started working.

Thanks guys!

Jesster is offline Trained Alumni

Incase you're not running 5.0.5 and/or don't have time to upgrade your demo/production box - sent you a copy of the 5.0.5 com_zimbra_yflickr.zip via email.
    I have the same problem using this zimlet running 5.0.6. I even verified the local /opt/zimbra/zimlets-extra/com_zimbra_yflickr.zip md5 sum's the exact same as the inside zimbra-store-5.0.6_GA_2313.RHEL5_64-20080522130456.x86_64.rpm

Please advise.

-Jessie

iway is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

Yes, still on 5.0.18: Flickr secret key is invalid.

iway is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

OK, got it partly working with this: zmprov mc mycos +zimbraProxyAllowedDomains "*.flickr.com"

Thread Information