Thread: [SOLVED] Fortune File(s) random signature

SpEnTBoY is offline Advanced Member

Default [SOLVED] Fortune File(s) random signature

Ok I dont know who many people would actually care about this, but something I miss with using just mutt on a local machine was the fact that I could have random sig's generated from fortune files ... I don't suppose this is/ever will be possible with Zimbra through a Zimlet?

Not sure it warrants a "feature" request and I think a good chunk of the code must already be out there since it's possible with things like mutt and plugins for squirrelmail ... but I figured I'd check

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

Yeah, you very well might be able to do that with a zimlet. Probably not straightforward, but doable.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

JoshuaPrismon is offline Zimlet Guru & Moderator

Actually, it's very very easy.

(One of the things writing the O'Reilly book has taught me is that notifyZimlet's is a lot more powerful then people think it is).

You can load a text file with fortunes in them from the scripts. Or use a JSP to select one at random. All very easy. The only hard part is to integrate with Zimbra.

Org_Technicaldetails_Basecamp.prototype.onShowView = function(view, isNewView) {
    if (view == "COMPOSTE")
    {
    appCtxt.getCurrentView().getHtmlEditor().setConten t("Quote goes here" );
    }
    }
    Last edited by JoshuaPrismon; 10-26-2007 at 02:46 PM.

SpEnTBoY is offline Advanced Member

ok so it's just a matter of randomly selecting a quote from fortune files ... I've done this with perl scripts way back in the day in a hack job CGI ... the next question is after loading the zimlet how do I interact with it.

Sorry for the dumb questions I haven't hacked any real code in quite a while let alone looked at the api or applicable info on creating a Zimlet ... I was wondering if anyone had done something like this but I dont have a problem taking a poke at it in my free time.

Guess I need to buy your book!!

JoshuaPrismon is offline Zimlet Guru & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SpEnTBoY View Post
    ok so it's just a matter of randomly selecting a quote from fortune files ... I've done this with perl scripts way back in the day in a hack job CGI ... the next question is after loading the zimlet how do I interact with it.

Sorry for the dumb questions I haven't hacked any real code in quite a while let alone looked at the api or applicable info on creating a Zimlet ... I was wondering if anyone had done something like this but I dont have a problem taking a poke at it in my free time.

Guess I need to buy your book!!
    The book should be out soon. I am waiting on one last bug to get resolved, then it's off to the races.

In terms of randonly selecting a fortune file, you could run your own fortune server in a CGI script (or you could use Soap::Lite to serve it). The easiest way, if you don't mind learning a little java, is probably to write it in a JSP.

It's actually a pretty good example app. I could probably spin something together real quick to make it happen.

Thread Information