Thread: Today is a very sad day ...

tschultz is offline Starter Member

Exclamation Today is a very sad day ...

I wish this was better news, but after 2 years running Zimbra Enerprise with 75 users we are migrating to Exchange 2010. Up until recently I would considered us a success story.

Was this because Zimbra no longer met our needs? NO!
    Was this because Zimbra did not work with our mobile devices? NO!

The reason was simply an internal management decision and based on a complete lack of any kind of support from VMware to provide a new quote to renew our license subscription.
    I am at a complete loss of why a company such as VMware can not work with a customer to ensure they continue to operate successfully.

Since email is a vital part of our everyday operation, not having things work and the active-sync to our many mobile devices failing caused a great deal of concern.

I was not directly involved so I lack some of the details, however the major problem was simply that for the past 3 months we have been operating with temporary license keys after our purchased subscription expired. One month before this happened however we started to try and purchase a renewal of our subscription. When our subsciprtion actually experied, in despiration a new purchase was attempted through the on-line store but even that fell through the cracks and was never processed, to add to this the regional sales manger was on vaction and this was not addressed quickly. We even tried to go through a local VMware reseller and even they were unable to resolve the problem but they were at least helpfull in obtaining temporary keys to keep us going.

From everything I have been told regaridng thes events, I can not disagree with the management decision although I am very sad to see Zimbra go. I do like Zimbra as a solution and still feel it is a solid product.

Based on VMware's lack of assistance I can not defend them and must support the migration to Exchange now ...

dagar is offline Special Member

I too am dealing with a MAJOR long delay on getting licensing issues dealt with. Come on Zimbra Sales/licensing team!!!

langs is offline Special Member

Wow that is pretty bad, unfortunately support issues have always been Zimbra's downfall. Glad I pay my maintenance in 3 year blocks and have a perpetual license.

durie1963 is offline Starter Member

Just joined the forum so a newbie. I am researching Zimbra for a client base and its not the first I have read the lack of assistance but the system looks ideal for what we need.

Jesster is offline Trained Alumni

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Danno321 View Post
    I guess VMware needs to work with VARs better for this product and have a hotline for hot problems with the product for companies. The marketing is misleading if support is not there.
    I second that- the quality of paid support went downhill once VMware took the reins

lithorus is offline Loyal Member

I'm in the same boat right now. It's taken nearly 4 weeks to finally get a license out of Zimbra, which ended up being the wrong one...

I'm seriosly considering alternatives (although not going as far as Exhange).

uniden_one is offline New Member

Thanks everyone for posting this. As a potential customer on a trial, it's good to know. I don't want to get stuck into the same trap.

cyber7 is offline Special Member

I have read this thread from the start and would like to comment on it with the following:

Let me put you in the picture:
    • I am from Cape Town, South Africa and it is known for being slow, not profit driven and anything that can be done tomorrow might get done next month.
    • I use a company called LSD (Yup, that's right ) and over the 4 years I have been involved with them I never had to wait for any after-sales services regarding licenses.
    • LSD is 1400km from my place of business, so everything gets done by mail...
    • The last license I had to get took about 24 hours (as there is such a time-difference between South Africa and USA) to get.

I do believe the problem comes in that the person/persons responsible for the mail-server in a company does first of all not have any Linux skills, nor the skill to Google the problem they might experience.

I have seen (AN I HAVE BEEN GUILTY OF THIS) posts that asks a question that has been answered, not only in depth on the Forums, but also documented to the hilt on the wiki.

Please understand that this thing called Zimbra is not "plug and play" but a fully-fledged, grown-up system. You need to understand, without the skills to:
    • READ technical documents.
    • UPKEEP and TROUBLESHOOT Linux.
    • UNDERSTAND DNS

you will be failing, AND OFTEN!

So, if you are looking for something out the box, don't look at Zimbra, but if you are looking for a cost-effective solution that will do more than what you bargained for, this is for you. Do not cry if your skills falls short, that is what you pay your IT Engineer for. And if he lacks skills, sending him on a crash-course is not going to cut it.

Please take this in the spirit it was written. The Zimbra server environment is a good environment if the business running it invests in IT skills.

Kind regards
    Aubrey Kloppers
    Cape Town
    South Africa
    Code:
    Never trust a fart...
    Release 8.0.0_GA_5434.RHEL6_64_20120907144743 CentOS6_64 NETWORK edition.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Though I understand what you are saying you have slightly missed the point. The OP was not commenting on the difficulty in supporting ZCS but the fact was unable to renew their NE license. Perhaps the whole licensing process should be reviewed and streamlined. It would be a great shame for others to migrate away from ZCS due to this type of, hopefully isolated, incident.

Thread Information