Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Upgrade from 5.0.14 to 5.0.16

  1. #1
    Tripple is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Upgrade from 5.0.14 to 5.0.16

    CentOS release 5.3 (Final)
    1.5 GB RAM

    zcs-5.0.16_GA_2921.RHEL5.20090429052155
    ./install.sh --platform-override

    Up and running.
    Great job, Zimbra!

  2. #2
    babyporch is online now Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Palermo
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    ./install.sh --platform-override

    Works also for me.

    Thanks, Zimbra!

  3. #3
    edelvall is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lima, Peru
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripple View Post
    CentOS release 5.3 (Final)
    1.5 GB RAM

    zcs-5.0.16_GA_2921.RHEL5.20090429052155
    ./install.sh --platform-override

    Up and running.
    Great job, Zimbra!
    Hi Tripple,

    Please elaborate a little more:
    - Single server installation?
    - how many users do you have?
    - what version are you using?

    We have 1500 users, a big server (HP DL380 G5) 4 GB Ram 2 Xeon Quad, 8 raid 5 (via LSI controller) 147 disks and JAVA is killing the server. Authentication is done Externally via AD. We are using the Open Source edition.

    We are not even using the web interface, we have a separate Horde/Imp server accesing the Zimbra box via IMAP.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Ed

  4. #4
    Tripple is offline Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edelvall View Post
    Hi Tripple,

    Please elaborate a little more:
    - Single server installation?
    - how many users do you have?
    - what version are you using?

    We have 1500 users, a big server (HP DL380 G5) 4 GB Ram 2 Xeon Quad, 8 raid 5 (via LSI controller) 147 disks and JAVA is killing the server. Authentication is done Externally via AD. We are using the Open Source edition.

    We are not even using the web interface, we have a separate Horde/Imp server accesing the Zimbra box via IMAP.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Ed
    I'm just having a very small office. Nothing like yours. About 20 mailboxes.

    4 domains on the server and 2 domains on another server forwarding mails to my Zimbra Open Source Edition.

    The server is a Dell PowerEdge 1950 and users are reading mail with their favorite mailclient (OSX Mail.app) or with the Web Interface. The biggest mailbox is about 4GB.

  5. #5
    UMDjwain is offline Trained Alumni
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edelvall View Post
    Hi Tripple,

    Please elaborate a little more:
    - Single server installation?
    - how many users do you have?
    - what version are you using?

    We have 1500 users, a big server (HP DL380 G5) 4 GB Ram 2 Xeon Quad, 8 raid 5 (via LSI controller) 147 disks and JAVA is killing the server. Authentication is done Externally via AD. We are using the Open Source edition.

    We are not even using the web interface, we have a separate Horde/Imp server accesing the Zimbra box via IMAP.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Ed
    IMAP is the most costly protocol to interface with Zimbra- if you're going to continue w/ IMAP, I'd suggest upgrading to at least 8GB RAM (java loves RAM). Otherwise, the webclient needs to be your focus going forward.

  6. #6
    phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,474
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edelvall View Post
    We have 1500 users, a big server (HP DL380 G5) 4 GB Ram 2 Xeon Quad, 8 raid 5 (via LSI controller) 147 disks and JAVA is killing the server. Authentication is done Externally via AD. We are using the Open Source edition.
    In addition to the comment about RAM in the post above, you really should not be using RAID5 it will kill your performance and you should be using RAID10. You should have a read of this article: Performance Tuning Guidelines for Large Deployments - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  7. #7
    Klug's Avatar
    Klug is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Beaucaire, France
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UMDjwain View Post
    IMAP is the most costly protocol to interface with Zimbra- if you're going to continue w/ IMAP, I'd suggest upgrading to at least 8GB RAM (java loves RAM). Otherwise, the webclient needs to be your focus going forward.
    And put a zimbra-proxy in front of your server (it includes a cache to cache IMAP requests).

    And, as Bill just said, go away from RAID5 as soon as possible (you can keep it for HSM and backup, but definitively not for the primary storage/indexes/dbs).

  8. #8
    edelvall is offline Active Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lima, Peru
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Thanks guys for your replies, we are moving people away from the horde/imp web client in favor of the Zimbra web client. Load is decreasing, server is getting better over time.

    If I add extra memory for a total of 8GB, I will have to use Ubuntu 64bit edition and the 64bit edition of zimbra, (right?), and correct me if I am wrong, but I will not be able to do a drag and drop (copy) of the /opt/zimbra directory. Or I will be able to do it and later run an upgrade form 32 bit to 64?

    Since we use the OS Edition, I do not think we have HSM and backup on that version...

    Thanks again,

    Ed

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 12:31 PM
  2. [SOLVED] Upgrade to 5.0.14 FOSS
    By sdrury in forum Administrators
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-15-2009, 01:30 AM
  3. Upgrade instructions in 5.0.10 too muddy to understand
    By johnshen in forum Installation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-06-2008, 06:19 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2007, 03:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •