Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Zimbra Do This For Me?

Brasco is offline New Member

Default Can Zimbra Do This For Me?

Hi all,

I got wind of the Zimbra platform and i wanted to know if its the right way to go.
    I would like to offer custom email services to people in my country for example "brasco@mycompanyname.com"...And i was wondering if Zimbra can help me achieve this? Just like how most of us have our own emails on "yahoo.com".

What do i need to setup to achieve this?

Someone kindly help-out.

Thanks

Braz.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Yes, it can do that - all you need is to have a domain name with DNS A & MX records pointing to your Zimbra server. I'd suggest you first read the Documentation and if you have any further questions then post again.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forums

Yes Zimbra can do this as it is a complete messaging and collaboration suite. If you wanted to brand your installation eg. replace all Zimbra logos then you would need to purchase the Network Edition. Otherwise you could install the Open Source Edition. You will require a domain name which has been correctly configured with a MX (Mail Exchange) record etc. If your server was to reside on a internal network eg. private LAN behind a firewall you would need to implement a Split DNS - Zimbra :: Wiki architecture.

Thanks guys. i will go and read the documentation and get back to you.

cheers

quietas is offline Elite Member

The other option is to go with a hosted option where someone else maintains the hardware while you admin the Zimbra software.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

Thanks Guys...you guys are simply amazing with helping one another.

But i want to ask:
    I want to setup emails for my clients (amounting to about 10000 email IDs) using the following config for each email ID:

INBOX SIZE = 200MB
    PER-MESSAGE ATTACHMENT SIZE = 10MB

what are the requirements i need to put in place on my end to be able to achieve this?

mmorse is offline Moderator

We do have a several docs (different stuff for support, sales, professional services, hosting partners & vars etc) however they're not available to the general public without going through one of those branches first. You can vote for Bug 28000 - Customer accessible sizing guide (especially as many don't estimate index space properly etc).

Here's a perfectly good example how everyone's needs are different: 100-500 user machine specs (and there's some larger setups in there)

However these questions are good to ask yourself & post answers on if you're looking for community feedback:
    Basic questions to consider in deployment sizing:

Total Number of Users?

Number of Active Users? (checking email, calendar, contacts, etc. at least once a day)

Number of Concurrent Users? (logging into the UI, checking email, calendar, contacts during Message Delivery Peak Period (see question below)

What percentage of total users will be using Webmail vs POP vs IMAP vs Mobile vs Outlook?
    For example 60% Webmail, 50% IMAP, 10% POP (I don't care if this adds up to 100% of the 10k user count, ie we can consider the fact that users may be accessing ZCS via multiple different clients)
    GAL lookups being done from those IMAP clients?

Message Delivery Peak Period in minutes?
    Period of time in minutes where message delivery (inbound + outbound) is the highest (i.e. from 10am to 12pm then 120 minutes)

Percentage Message Delivery Peak Workload?
    What percentage of workload is occurring during the message delivery peak period(s) (i.e. 80% of workload occurs from 10am to 12pm)

Mailbox Quota per user (MB)?

Average Mailbox Utilization Percentage % of Quota? (how much of that quota will they generally use) or Average Mailbox Size (MB)?

Will you be using the Zimbra AS/AV on Zimbra MTAs?

If no to above, would you have your third party Anti-Spam appliances querying Zimbra LDAP server to check on unknown recipients?

Total Incoming messages per day?

Total Prespam Incoming Messages per day? (Prespam = SPAM + LEGIT)

Total Postspam Incoming Messages per day? (Postspam = LEGIT)

Number of Postspam Incoming Messages per day? (Postspam = LEGIT)

Total Outgoing messages per day?

Number of Outging messages per user per day?

Average Message Size (KB)?

Percentage % of Messages with attachments?

Average Attachment Size (KB)?

Hardware
    Servers RAM/CPU?

Storage
    Disks? On-box storage (SCSI vs SATA) vs NAS vs SAN (& Fiber vs iSCSI etc etc) Use raid RAID10 not RAID5 for faster storage. Writes are slower in RAID5 & you are talking about lots of tiny files. Lots of threads on disks if you search. (The NE version has Hierarchical Storage Management which offloads mail after x days to your cheaper/older disks & RAID5 is usually fine for that.)
    Last edited by mmorse; 08-18-2008 at 10:55 AM.

Please guy , don't be offended with my questions....it's just that i'm new to all this.

We're looking implementing for over 225 000 email accounts for users that would be browsing over the desktop/laptop browser.
    And just about 100 000 push email accounts for our mobile email users.
    we have 12Terabytes storage space.

what are the dimensions that you think would be ok for this volume of accounts i.e inbox sizes for each, mail attachement size e.t.c
    ?

thanks in advance for your tremendous responses so far.

uxbod is offline Moderator

Benny, welcome to the forums

So what would you like to know as you have not really asked anything ?

hostchecker is offline New Member

that should be cool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information