Thread: Syncing Wireline Devices on PC and Mac

dballing is offline Intermediate Member

Default Syncing Wireline Devices on PC and Mac

We're considering a ZCS Network purchase, but we have a LOT of faculty members and administrators with legacy "wired" Palm devices like Tungstens and such.

The documentation is notoriously lacking on the topic of "how these devices might sync".

It LOOKS like the answer, for Macs, would be to do it via iSync and MissingSync... let the iSync connector sync Zimbra data to the Apple contacts, etc., and then use Missing Sync to bridge the gap between "the OS X built in contacts and calendar" and the Tungsten device, same as they do now.

However, how would this happen on a PC? There doesn't appear to be a Palm Desktop conduit for Zimbra, so how can my users get their data over to their legacy Palm handhelds?

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Default <bump> We're interested in this too

A Palm conduit would be huge for us too--syncing calendar and contacts
    Last edited by dwmtractor; 07-27-2007 at 09:12 AM. Reason: I can't type. . .typo in title!

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Are you talking about OTA sync, or pc-based sync?
    I think that palm takes advantage of sync services on the mac, so if you Have the NE, you should be okay.

I also think that it works the same with Outlook.

Much the same way the iphone syncs.

Maybe I misunderstand? I do that a lot

Default Nope, just Palm OS on PC-Windows

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    Are you talking about OTA sync, or pc-based sync?
    I think that palm takes advantage of sync services on the mac, so if you Have the NE, you should be okay.

I also think that it works the same with Outlook.

Much the same way the iphone syncs.

Maybe I misunderstand? I do that a lot
    We have no Macs in our network, and only a couple of Outlook clients. Most use Outlook Express now, but my intent is to move them to Thunderbird + Lightning unless another good IMAP + Calendar option comes available. . .but it's an all-PC (Windows) environment. So what we need is something that would sync to mostly Palm OS and a couple Pocket PCs in the Windows environment.

D

gersh is offline Loyal Member

Default Palm Sync with Zimbra - No Outlook

Syncing Palm to Zimbra with the Outlook Connector works very well.

But, what is the solution for PC's not running Outlook?

There's no Zimbra conduit for Palm.

gersh

Old desire, no new information as far as I know. Found this thread but it's also ancient history. This article/thread suggests there may be some export/import options using ical, but that's not what you (or others of us) really mean when we say "sync with Palm."

I thought sure I had seen something "out there" (on SourceForge, maybe?) on someone developing a SDK that might allow for creating such a conduit, but I can't find it now and all I remember was it was way over my head.

I can't speak for internal Zimbrian thought, but I would guess that given Palm has not been exactly front-and-center developing their OS, the impetus to develop a connection to it is not all that strong. I say this sadly since I've been a devoted Palm OS user for close to 11 years. . .MAYBE when/if they come out with that rumored new Palm OS there will be more interest???

You could always file an RFE in Bugzilla and see if anyone votes for it. I would. . .

Cheers,

Dan

Thread Information