Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ActiveSync - Setup; the server is not an Exchange Server

CatiaL is offline Active Member

Default ActiveSync - Setup; the server is not an Exchange Server

Hi,

I run 4.5.5_GA_838.RHEL4_20070518071230 RHEL4 NETWORK edition with OutlookConnector and I have a licence with MobileZimbra active installed.
    I have just bought a Treo 750v and I would like to syncronize it with my zimbra server.

Short said: I do not manage to get the connection/sync with the server.

What I did is the following:

1) I install on a PC the ActiveSync software (version 4.2.0) coming with the telephone.
    2) I plug in the telephone (USB) to the PC first it syncs with outlook => OK
    3) with the telephone still plugged on the PC I add a config for the server: without SSL. It gaves me an error message "under the give address no Microsoft Exchange Server was found".
    4) I say I do not care accept anyway the setup and start the sync => on the telephone pops up a window asking me again the passwd ("the given passwd is incorrect enter again), I enter it again, but it manages to sync only the local (on PC) stuffs, on the server side there the same error as before "under the give address no Microsoft Exchange Server was found"
    5) I change the server settings "use SSL": again same story but different error message "the syncronization ocould not be completed, retry" (actually it did not even start)

what's wrong? what should I do? please give me some hints.

I have some questions too:

1) first of all how do I see that my server has the zimbra mobile active and ready to get connections/to sync with a mobile phone?

For what I do understand it should be the case but I am not sure:
    - in the Admin Exstensions "com_zimbra_mobilesync" is listed up
    - in my default COS Featuers "Zimbra Mobile" is present and checked
    - the user that I want to sync (like all others) have in the Features "Zimbra Mobile" present and checked.

is that enough to be able to sync? what else should I do/can I check on the server side?

2) if I choose to make a sync with the server using SSL does this refer to the web application running over https on port 443 or does it refer to SSL for IMAP service being enabled? I ask this because my user web runs (still) under http but the SSL for IMAP is enabled in the server settings.
    So would be appropriate in this case to set "use SSL" or not?

Klug is offline Moderator

Try to use the shortname (not FQDN) of your Zimbra server...

We encountered the same issue (using USB activesync "passthrough") : it did not work with FQDN, it worked with shortname of the server.

Default did not work

I have tried with teh short name .. nothing.
    I did different tests:
    say our FQDN zimbra server name is myserver.domain.example

I set
    user=username@domain.example
    domain=domain.example
    no SSL

1) Server=myserver.domain.example -> "under the given address no Microsoft Exchange Server was found"
    2) Server=myserver -> on the telephone pops up something like "the server was not reachable. There must be a network problem" and on the PC activesync appication I get the same error too
    3) Server=private IP -> "under the given address no Microsoft Exchange Server was found"
    4) Server=public IP -> on the telephone nothing pops up. It seems like it is starting to sync: by the Exchange Server Status appears "Search for changes" (or similar I am translating from german) but then only the local outlook is syncd and the server on the PC activesync appication gets the error "the server was not reachable. There must be a network problem"

what about my questions?
    should I set up something else directly on the telephone?

Angry ???

Hi,

Now I have activated SSL too but still I do not manage to get the sync with the zimbra server not matter if I try with the USB plugged in or wireless ("phone like"): the best that I get is that it says "Search for changes" but then it breaks up with the error 0x85030022: "The server is not an exchange server or is not running a compatible software ........."

Our zimbra server is installed as (FQDN) server_internal.domain.example
    we access it as webmail.domain.example.
    On the same server apache is running so zimbra uses port 7070 for http and 7433 for https.
    In the http mode we access it as http://webmail.domain.example using the mod_jk trick.
    In the https mode we access it as https://webmail.domain.example
    using the mod_jk trick (see for both our setup in https ???).

I have followed for the setup without SSL (no cert install) and with SSL (cert install with SSLChainSaver) the Mobile Device Setup - ZimbraWiki

It does not matter if I do use SSL or not I get the error message that I posted (obviously I have tested the "with SSL" with zimbraMailMode=https and "without SSL" with zimbraMailMode=http).

I try to connect with a brand new Treo 750v and I run 4.5.5_GA_838.RHEL4_20070518071230 RHEL4 NETWORK edition.

I have tried with all the following settings (and even more ...):

Code:
    server=webmail.domain.example
    user=username@domain.example
    domain=domain.example
    with / without SSL
    Code:
    server=webmail.domain.example
    user=username
    domain=domain.example
    with / without SSL
    If I specify the server name as server=webmail I get a network error "the server can not be reached".

In /opt/zimbra/log/sync.log

I have a list of such entries:

Code:
    2007-06-18 09:27:00,448 INFO  [SIGTERM handler] [] sync - ZimbraSync service shutting down
    2007-06-18 09:27:48,051 INFO  [main] [] sync - ZimbraSync service starting up
    2007-06-18 09:39:36,212 INFO  [SIGTERM handler] [] sync - ZimbraSync service shutting down
    2007-06-18 09:39:57,011 INFO  [main] [] sync - ZimbraSync service starting up
    /opt/zimbra/log/syncstate.log and /opt/zimbra/log/synctrace.log are empty.

As I have already written, on the server:

- I have a licence with MobileZimbra active installed
    - in the Admin Exstensions "com_zimbra_mobilesync" is listed up
    - in my default COS Featuers "Zimbra Mobile" is present and checked
    - the user that I want to sync (like all others) have in the Features "Zimbra Mobile" present and checked.

Is that enough on the server side to have the ZimbraMobile ready to work?

Do someone have an idea?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CatiaL View Post
    Do someone have an idea?
    Did you follow the instructions in the wiki about using mod_jk?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default sure

sure I did.
    On the outlook and web application level everything works like it should.
    Only the mobile sync i.e. syncronization of the treo with the server does not work.

M.Meijer is offline Active Member

Default same problem?

Hi CatiaL,

I'm testing a Treo750 with zimbra too at the moment without succes, a difference with your setup is that my sync.log produces a communication error between zimbra and the treo (something about a "bad zimbrasync protocol"). Furthermore I've put Zimbra on a dedicated server (without other services) so I suspect there is something wrong communicationswise between the Treo 750 and Zimbra (4.5.5).
    Maurits Meijer
    manager automation
    BURGER GRUNSTRA consulting architects

mmmmm

do you get the same error (0x85030022: "The server is not an exchange server or is not running a compatible software .........") on the treo?

The strange thing is that in my case the entries in sync.log do not correspond to times when I try to make a sync.

How is your config on the treo anyway? Have you opened extra ports in your firewall for the treo? How do I see that the zimbra server is "ready for sync connections" (is it enough what I have, see my last post)?

post if you get it to work, please.

I have forgotten to say: I use a self-generated certificate but this should not be the problem because I get the same error message even without SSL.

M.Meijer is offline Active Member

Default followup

Hi CatiaL,

I get an "ActiveSync encountered a problem on the server" (0x85010014) when I try to sync... the lines in sync.log matches the time of synchronization. I installed the default certificate from zimbra on the phone (exported it using der as a format) but am currenty trying to synchronise without the certificate.

I've got Zimbra running on port 8888 on my primairy IP address. Since it's not possible to specify a different port then 80 in activesync on the phone (not in a different field at least, although I've read somewhere that you can appent the port to the hostaddress), I've setup a second public IP on my firewall where traffic to port 80 is forwarded to my Zimbra's internal address (on port 8888), the webinterface (also from the phone) works this way but I'm not sure it this should mean that the activesync connection should also work.

I'll sure let you know if I make any progress, if you would be so kind as to return the favour
    Maurits Meijer
    manager automation
    BURGER GRUNSTRA consulting architects

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information