Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.5 IMAP changes? Nokia E61/E62 can't get mail body

jdell is offline Project Contributor

Question 4.5 IMAP changes? Nokia E61/E62 can't get mail body

I have a Nokia E62 that is configured for secure IMAP to connect to one of my Zimbra servers and it worked beautifully with 4.0.x series.

However, since upgrading to 4.5.0, the E62 will download the message headers so it shows on the phone, but if you click in to view the actual message body, you get a message 'email not retrieved yet, retrieve now?', you click yes and then it will connect, say 'updating mailbox', but then it finishes and takes you back to the inbox list rather than displaying the body of the email. Repeated attempts give the same results ('email not retrieved yet, retrieve now?').

I am able to access the account fine from secure IMAP in Thunderbird. Any ideas?

BTW, I'm *not* using the IMAP proxy (perdition).

Thanks!
    Last edited by jdell; 01-18-2007 at 11:56 AM.

anand is offline Zimbra Employee

can you turn up IMAP logging on the server? You can do this by adding:

log4j.logger.zimbra.imap=DEBUG

to the log4j.properties and restarting.

Remember to turn it off later though.

Dan is on holiday in the other hemisphere, so the response on IMAP issues is going to be slow this week.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Ok, I am getting an error in the log, but it looks innocuous and is happening in the disconnect after it looks like it does everything correctly, so it wouldn't seem like it would be a problem, but obviously it isn't working.

I don't want to post the humongous log, but here is the error.

Code:
    2007-01-18 11:16:58,132 DEBUG [ImapSSLServer-6] [ip=166.195.83.155;name=jdell@gbdev.com;] imap -   S: + 
    2007-01-18 11:16:58,430 DEBUG [ImapSSLServer-6] [] imap -   S: * BYE Zimbra IMAP4rev1 server terminating connection
    2007-01-18 11:16:58,430 INFO  [ImapSSLServer-6] [] imap - [166.195.83.155] exception while closing connection
    java.net.SocketException: Connection closed by remote host
            at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.checkWrite(SSLSocketImpl.java:1187)
            at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.AppOutputStream.write(AppOutputStream.java:43)
            at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(BufferedOutputStream.java:65)
            at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(BufferedOutputStream.java:123)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.sendLine(ImapHandler.java:2078)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.sendResponse(ImapHandler.java:2068)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.sendUntagged(ImapHandler.java:2057)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.dropConnection(ImapHandler.java:2027)
            at com.zimbra.cs.imap.ImapHandler.dropConnection(ImapHandler.java:2013)
            at com.zimbra.cs.tcpserver.ProtocolHandler.run(ProtocolHandler.java:210)
            at EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.PooledExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
    2007-01-18 11:16:58,431 INFO  [ImapSSLServer-6] [] ProtocolHandler - Handler exiting normally

Looks like the client sent BYE and just disconnected without letting us ack the BYE.

Another common one I see in the logs is the SSL teardown not being done cleanly (which the spec allows, but jsse logs anyway). The SSL shutdown thing is common, I usually don't see the BYE and cut connection as much.

oh wait, this is on the same thread that you are not reading the message. This exception may be unrelated to your original problem (guessing).

Quote Originally Posted by anand View Post
    oh wait, this is on the same thread that you are not reading the message. This exception may be unrelated to your original problem (guessing).
    Yea, that was my guess too. I have a bigger fire to put out right now, so I'll look at this again next week. Did I mention how much I love Windows, NOT!

Thanks!

Thumbs up Fixed it

I just needed to delete the IMAP account and re-create it.

Something must have changed with the way IMAP messages are handled WRT the client for the IMAP client to get so confused. No clue, but consistent behavior from 3 different Nokia E62's that were great with 4.0.x but choked with 4.5.0.

I'm guessing this is related to my other thread about Mail For Exchange getting confused also (FYI for ZCS 4.5 Mobile for Nokia E62....

Anyway, all is good!

titzesan is offline Starter Member

I am having a similar problem with my Nokia 6680 (and it seems also with my Thunderbird IMAP client). Sadly I don't have access to the logs right now.

But the behaviour I see is that I can login to the IMAP server with my mobile phone and retrieve and display one mail. Returning to the list of mails and trying to retrieve a different mail leads to loosing the connection to the server.

I already tried recreating the IMAP account on my mobile phone, but to no avail.

Anyone else seeing this?

Quote Originally Posted by titzesan View Post
    I am having a similar problem with my Nokia 6680 (and it seems also with my Thunderbird IMAP client). Sadly I don't have access to the logs right now.

But the behaviour I see is that I can login to the IMAP server with my mobile phone and retrieve and display one mail. Returning to the list of mails and trying to retrieve a different mail leads to loosing the connection to the server.

I already tried recreating the IMAP account on my mobile phone, but to no avail.

Anyone else seeing this?
    Lot of folks here test/use Thunderbird all the time. Anything in the server logs? What does a kill -3 on the tomcat process show? Anything odd about a message in your mailbox?

flamingcow is offline Starter Member

Default Packet dump

Attached is a packet dump (tcpdump format; password elided) of the mail client from my Nokia E61 with the latest firmware trying to "retrieve a message". The actual dump seems to show no retrieval commands, just folder checking. Something in the Zimbra responses must be putting it off from trying to pull the message body.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information