Thread: Driod X and Zimbra Sync Issue

xtreme-one is offline Intermediate Member

Default Driod X and Zimbra Sync Issue

I have an issue with Android phones and MobileSync. I am running Zimbra version 6.0.10_GA_2692 Network version on SuSE 10 64 bit system. I have a mixture of mobile devices. I have Window based phones, Apple based, and Android based. The Window and Apple based phones work without incident. This tells me that Zimbra is configured and operating more or less correctly. My Droidx phones running Android 2.2.1 will sync mail without a problem. They will show calendar events that are initiated from the Web interface, and they have uploaded contacts from Zimbra, but no calendar or contacts from the phone will download back into Zimbra. I have set the phones to sync with corporate sync and they seem to setup okay, but as explained only work half way. Any ideas?

xtreme-one is offline Intermediate Member

Default Touchdown for the win!

Since there seems to be little support for the Android use of Exchange in the corporate sync app due to the numerous implementations used by the various handset manufactures of that app -- I have decided to throw in the towel! It seems to be a market place consensus that the lack of consistency from Android and those making the handsets that a third party software solution is needed. The solution most recommend is Touchdown. I am currently testing Touchdown, and by and large it seems to perform as promised. I am slightly disappointed with the lack of integration with existing phone applications such as contacts and calendar, but the supplied widgets are awesome.

I am greatly disappointed in Android. I am not a fanboy of Microsoft and not crazy about the fact that ActiveSnyc appears to have ruled the day for OTA sync, but the folks at Google should have addressed this much better than they did. I can't help but think that part of the reason we are hearing so much noise from Motorola about dumping Android is that good tools built-in to the handset OS are a must. The business world needs standards to provide a clear future for a technology and to assure continued investment.

I hope that future releases of Android take into consideration business needs as well as consumer needs.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by xtreme-one View Post
    I hope that future releases of Android take into consideration business needs as well as consumer needs.
    I've found that manufacturer implementations of the ActiveSync protocol are usually 'poor' and they're not over-keen to fix them. Have you considered using a product like Nitrodesk Touchdown? It's an excellent product and works very well against a Zimbra NE server, I've been using it on my HTC Desire for a while with problems. I am just a happy user of Touchdown and have no association with the company.
    Last edited by phoenix; 03-25-2011 at 11:20 PM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

LMStone is offline Moderator

We too have found on our Zimbra hosting farm that Droid devices behave inconsistently from model to model, carrier to carrier, and firmware to firmware.

We tend to steer clients to iPhones, but if Droid is a must, Touchdown I agree is a good product. On Blackberries, we have more success with AstraSync than with BES (price notwithstanding). Of course, all of this could change radically in the coming months!

We have no affiliation with either company; we just want our clients to have as smooth an experience with Zimbra as possible.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Thread Information