Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zimbra, Android, and Syncing

b3plus is offline Starter Member

Hello,

I am using the Zimbra Community Edition and want to sync my zimbra calendar with my android phone. Is there any free app that is using caldav? Until now i haven't found any.
    Can i use VMware Zimbra for Android just for synchronising my zimbra calendar with my andoid calendar? Or can i only use it as hole program, so it is also downloading my mails etc.?

Thanks for your answers.

psgandalf is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by .b.3.+ View Post
    Hello,

I am using the Zimbra Community Edition and want to sync my zimbra calendar with my android phone. Is there any free app that is using caldav? Until now i haven't found any.
    Can i use VMware Zimbra for Android just for synchronising my zimbra calendar with my andoid calendar? Or can i only use it as hole program, so it is also downloading my mails etc.?

Thanks for your answers.
    I'm using CalDav sync it's not free but it's just a couple of bucks. Working really whell and even syncs shared calendars. I use Business Calendar Free as calendar and this works really good.

aardwark is offline Infraction/Mod Queue

Quote Originally Posted by storm View Post
    Alternatively you can use a (paid) app called Nitrodesk Touchdown for improved compatibility (particularly for contact syncing). If you cannot get it in your app store, you can download the app from their website, and install it directly.
    Just remember to set option in settings->applications to allow installation of program from unknown (i.e. other than android market) sources, and then to swith it off, so you keep you phone relatively safe.

Tomasz Czarnecki
    Last edited by phoenix; 11-18-2011 at 05:52 AM.

piresetyawan is offline Banned

Default setting android IMAP

Quote Originally Posted by fcash View Post
    If your company is using Zimbra Network Edition, get them to enable Zimbra Mobile support in your account.

Then, configure the e-mail account as an "Exchange ActiveSync" account (not an IMAP or POP account). Point it at your Zimbra server, enter your username and password, and watch as it syncs your e-mail, calendar, tasks, and contacts to your phone. And it's a live, 2-way sync, so any changes on the phone are reflected in the server. And vice-versa.
    i'm using android samsung galaxy ace. and ZIMBRA server is= open source not Network Edition. so i'm setting in my Handphone Android with IMAP.
    Incoming server IMAP = mail.tatalogam.com, PORT= 143, not SLL===> success
    Outgoing Server SMTP = mail.tatalogam.com, PORT= 80, not SSL.===> success but not login username and password,

EMAIL INBOX success, but for SENT email is ERROR..why?

thanks

ewilen is offline Moderator

SMTP is port 25. However, you should be using port 587 with TLS and username/password. Or if that's not available, port 465 with SSL and username/password may work.

(SMTP is only allowed if you're on a "trusted network" as defined in Zimbra OR if the email is being sent to an account in Zimbra.)

bofh is offline Elite Member

actually about andoroid

ITS WRONG that it uses only one database - technically yes but it splits it in different mailboxes

so having multiple accounts in one phone works well

second you should not use pop3 on android - use imap - or exchange active sync

für exchange you need networkeditions or liverpoolfans zimbrabackend with zpush - both works well and stable (zpush is real solid too)

however - exchange can have some falws on adroid -
    everything bevore 2.3.4 on phones and 3.1 on tablets can have some issues
    be aware 3.1 isnt a higher android than 2.3.5 - branch 3x is made for tables - these two branches will merge with android 4x)

on iphone the excahnge thing has also some flaws.. so

as an alternative you can use
    imap for mail
    caldav for caledar (latest in markets works pretty fine)
    carddav for adressbook

second solution is better ni functionality but the exchange sync solution works better as push
    i personally use exchange but i think hte caldav/carddav/imap is the future
    (it supprts multiple caledars instead of one merged for example)

however in any cases use https for exchange /caldav/carddav
    and use imaps and smtps for imap

android accepts self signes certificates too
    do not use unencrypted mail

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information