Thread: Does Zimbra support Android OS

aamitgupta is offline New Member

Default Does Zimbra support Android OS

Hi,

I want to make application on android which will use Zimbra for sync the calender, documents, email etc. But i haven't get anything for android in Zimbra and also not get any android device list of android.

Please anybody help me.

bdgomez is offline New Member

Default Zimbra and Android

I have a Motorola Droid running Android 2.1 and I am able to use the corporate email app that comes with Android to sync my work email to my phone, and we use Zimbra. I have recently been hearing that Android 2.2 has some issues with it though so it might be worth making an app dedicated to working with Zimbra. Anyway I hope this helps a little, and I will try to help out in any way I can. Good luck!

aamitgupta is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by bdgomez View Post
    I have a Motorola Droid running Android 2.1 and I am able to use the corporate email app that comes with Android to sync my work email to my phone, and we use Zimbra. I have recently been hearing that Android 2.2 has some issues with it though so it might be worth making an app dedicated to working with Zimbra. Anyway I hope this helps a little, and I will try to help out in any way I can. Good luck!
    Thanks, it really help me but i want to make sure that Zimbra supports with all functionality for android like Documents sync, Calender sync same as iPhone.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by aamitgupta View Post
    Thanks, it really help me but i want to make sure that Zimbra supports with all functionality for android like Documents sync, Calender sync same as iPhone.
    There are already Mail applications for the Android phones that will sync Calendar, Tasks, Mail etc. so the answer is yes, it will work.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

bzly2000 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by aamitgupta View Post
    Hi,

I want to make application on android which will use Zimbra for sync the calender, documents, email etc. But i haven't get anything for android in Zimbra and also not get any android device list of android.

Please anybody help me.
    The only answer is, it depends...

First, since you want more than just pop3 email send and receive, you have to have a license for Zimbra Mobile. This is additional to the standard mailbox license.

Next, you have to have an Android device that supports activesync. Prior to 2.2, this was provided by the handset maker, not the Android O/S. Also, as handset makers (and network providers) release an O/S update, they may provide their own version or they may use the O/S version.

On Nexus One, for instance, you only have Corporate Email with 2.1, no calendar. With 2.2, you get full integration of your gmail and corporate calendar, contacts, and email. I don't use documents or tasks, so I can't answer to those.

The original Droid running 2.1 had good support of calendar and email, but right now, the Droid X doesn't work out-of-the-box. I'm working on the solution right now and it seems to be an issue with security settings on the server.

The EVO from Sprint running 2.1 had very good support for corporate calendar, contacts, and email.

The original G1 with 1.5 and I think 1.6 didn't have support for calendar or email (pop3 only).

Those are the handsets I've used, so, like I said, it depends. You need to check the specific handset for the support you are looking for, but your best bet is to go with a 2.1 version or better and check with the handset maker or your network provider.

Thread Information