Thread: Droid Eris (Android 1.5) and Zimbra SMTP

akertis is offline Active Member

Default Droid Eris (Android 1.5) and Zimbra SMTP

I have never had any problems with most smartphones with our email server. The droid eris will not work correctly with smtp. We use smtp authentication when not in the network and it will not work with the droid eris at all. We usually use tls on port 25 for smtp but it doesn't work. It pops up a bad certificate and says our cert is incorrect. Has anyone been able to get an android 1.5 device to work with zimbra correctly?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by akertis View Post
    I have never had any problems with most smartphones with our email server. The droid eris will not work correctly with smtp. We use smtp authentication when not in the network and it will not work with the droid eris at all. We usually use tls on port 25 for smtp but it doesn't work. It pops up a bad certificate and says our cert is incorrect. Has anyone been able to get an android 1.5 device to work with zimbra correctly?
    You'll have to import the certificate to the phone or get the phone to accept an invalid certificate.

BTW, port 25 is the incorrect submission port and you should be using port 587 (which is the correct RFC submission port).
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

olecoot is offline Active Member

We have two Android users in our office. One uses the Droid and the other the Eris. We have had no issues at all using the phones with Zimbra. However, we do set the phones up to use active sync as though they were talking to an Exchange server. Works beautifully.

akertis is offline Active Member

I was under the impression that exchange support didn't work well in 1.5. So exchange works fine with eris with 1.5? The people that have droids use exchange without any problems but those phones are running 2.x.

We've had no problem at all. In fact we set one up 2 nights ago and the owner is thrilled! We just set it up like the Droid (or any other active sync mobile device) and it rocks.

Hope this helps.

msonen is offline Intermediate Member

Default No touchdown?

Quote Originally Posted by olecoot View Post
    We've had no problem at all. In fact we set one up 2 nights ago and the owner is thrilled! We just set it up like the Droid (or any other active sync mobile device) and it rocks.

Hope this helps.
    Did you have to use touchdown to sync?
    I would not work for me in when I first set it up but I was running Zimbra 5
    I haven't tried since the upgrade to Zimbra 6..

I don't know what touchdown is ....

All we do is use the Microsoft Active Sync option and set the phone up as if it were going to authenticate to an Exchange server. Pretty straight forward. Ironically, just set up another Eris not more than 30 minutes ago.

Joe_Apps is offline Starter Member

Default Sync calendar and contacts

Quote Originally Posted by olecoot View Post
    I don't know what touchdown is ....

All we do is use the Microsoft Active Sync option and set the phone up as if it were going to authenticate to an Exchange server. Pretty straight forward. Ironically, just set up another Eris not more than 30 minutes ago.
    I'm a new zimbra user through my company's service provider (01.com), who says they only provide support to BlackBerry and iPhone devices.

I was given the impression that Calendar synching to my DROID wouldn't work. Email synch seems to be working well enough.

Is there an app I need to download/purchase, or can I use the pre-loaded DROID apps and just set it up like my mail?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

msonen is offline Intermediate Member

We use 01.com as well. How has your service been with them?
    I have just used the touchdown app and it has worked well to sync with its built in calendar.

Thread Information