Thread: [SOLVED] iPhone GAL sync and browse fails ZCS6

CWAPaulG is offline Junior Member

Default [SOLVED] iPhone GAL sync and browse fails ZCS6

Currently running ZCS6NE and I'm having problems getting the iPhone to autocomplete from the GAL (or even search the GAL), I have two domain and set the following:

zimbraGalSyncInternalSearchBase to ROOT
    zimbraGalInternalSearchBase to ROOT

for both domains (as the domains are for the same company and want to search both domain GALs)

the iPhone sync's mail personal contacts and calendar fine just not the GAL. If I go to contacts on the iPhone and select groups and then "user" Global Address List it always show empty or no results.

Auto complete and GAL browsing works in the zDesktop and web client so I'm at a loss, what haven't I done ?

Thanks

ewilen is offline Moderator

I can't directly help solve your problem, but according to Bug 16532 – Online search support this should be working in 6.0. So you might look at that bug (and associated duplicate), make sure you've got it set up right, and post an update there to get QA's attention.

Default Update - more testing to do

Hi ewilen

Thanks for that link, I didn't read the small print you might say, I'll test this with iPhone 3.0, I had a sneaking suspicion my iPhone was not current enough. I'll test and repost my findings.

Cheers

Default Findings

OK after mucking around and creating a new domain and testing I found it worked for the new domain but not the original domains so something was up with the domain configuration. Using zmprov gad -v and looking at the domain settings I found the only differences have come from a change made earlier in the setup when we wanted to search both domain GALs. I followed mmorse's post where we set an external GAL search to the second domain on the same Zimbra server (here's part of the post):

You could use both internal & 'external' GAL lookups against yourself so that A<>B and B<>A (use the GAL wizard):

DomainA:
    GAL: both
    Server type: LDAP
    LDAP url: ldap://serverwithldapservice.domain.com:389
    LDAP filter: (uid=%u) parenthesis included
    Autocomplete filter: It should autofill with externalLdapAutoComplete, but doesn't always do so the first round of setting up; though it will show up after you apply. (but you could add it now if wanted/if it requires you to in an error at the end)
    LDAP search base: dc=domainB,dc=com ("" might coax search across all domains)
    Bind DN: shouldn't need to bother - but you could always do something like cn=admin,dc=domain,dc=com

DomainB:
    GAL: both
    Server type: LDAP
    LDAP url: ldap://serverwithldapservice.domain.com:389 ssl 636 if desired
    LDAP filter: (uid=%n) parenthesis included
    Autocomplete filter: ignore unless you can't click finish/test gives error/error in mailbox.log then enter externalLdapAutoComplete
    LDAP search base: dc=domainA,dc=com
    Bind DN: ignore

LDAP Filter notes:
    (uid=%u) - The user has a uid attribute value in the external directory equal to the user portion of the Zimbra user account.
    (uid=%n) - Entire Zimbra user account is used to identify user in the external directory.
    or even (&(|(cn=*%s*)(sn=*%s*)(gn=*%s*)(mail=*%s*)(zimbr aM ailDeliveryAddress=*%s*) (zimbraMailAlias=*%s*)(zimbraMailAddress=*%s*))(|( objectclass=zimbraAccount)(objectclass=zimbraDistr ibutionList)))

I then changed this to use ROOT for the zimbraGalLdapSearchBase & zimbraGalInternalSearchBase even though I was no longer using an external GAL lookup the settings remained in the domain config. This is the only thing I can see that might have caused the issue.

All working now (I renamed the original domains and created a new domains and then moved all the accounts to the fresh domain).

Thread Information