Thread: iPod + external account + Cisco Unity Connection

lelio is offline Starter Member

Default iPod + external account + Cisco Unity Connection

We're using Cisco Unity Connection voicemail, and I got the Zimbra web client configured to download voicemail as an external account. It works great.

Unfortunately, when I try to use my iPod touch, it doesn't download voice messages. It will download any email message sent to that voicemail box, but that's it.

I have a suspicion it has something to do with either the way the iPod retrieves the mail or the ActiveSync process.

Any ideas?

ewilen is offline Moderator

Could you instead have the iPod access the voicemail directly using IMAP?

Or have the Cisco Unity account auto-forward the voicemail to your Zimbra account?

I know these are just workarounds. All I can compare is that I have my Shoreware voicemail forwarded to my Zimbra email account, and it works fine with iPod/ActiveSync.

lelio is offline Starter Member

Forwarding is definitely a possibility, but native access would be better.

Apparently we might be preventing messages with .wav file attachments to be exported properly, so we'll try that first and then try with direct IMAP access.

There has been talk on the Cisco side that MACs can't read the voicemail type email messages correctly. That would be a drag.

ewilen is offline Moderator

Unless there's something funky about those .wav files...or the way they're attached...I don't think think this is a Mac thing. Shoreware sends its voicemail as .wav attachments and they play fine on my Mac using Mail or Zimbra Web client. As noted above they also play back through my iPod touch.

Consider though that you are having Zimbra pull down messages, then expose them via ActiveSync. Are you pulling the messages into your Zimbra inbox, or into a separate folder? Maybe try switching options there?

For comparative testing I would set up an IMAP client on the Zimbra account and see what happens to those messages as exposed via IMAP.

Then I'd do the same with an iPod configured to access Zimbra through IMAP.

Thread Information