Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to beat Blackberry-Features?

krabina is offline Special Member

Default How to beat Blackberry-Features?

Hello mobile users,

there are many mobile options out there. As I only know Blackberry features, I'd like to know what my options are (if I want to move away from Blackberry). These are the features I need (and currently have using Zimbra & BES connector).

* Use of native software in mobile device (not using browser to access zimbra, nor any zimbra java applet...)
    * Synchronisation of Address Book including GAL
    * Synchronisation of Calender including appontment invitations
    * Synchronisation of E-Mail
    * Sent mails from mobile device sync with sent folder in Zimbra !!

Can this be done on other platforms (Nokia?, Iphone?....). Especially the last item I'm not sure about. I heard from other users that they can send mails with their mobile device, but the sent mails are not available in their (exchange) sent folder...

regards,
    Bernhard

bdial is offline Moderator

any device that supports activesync (windows mobile devices, iphone, palm) will fulfill all these requirements except for the GAL part

There's a nice review and comparison between the Nokia E71 and the BlackBerry 8900 Curve.

In the reviewer states that regarding e-mail, you can't really compare Blackberry with Nokia (Mail for Exchange), because Blackberry is so much better in many aspects...

Any comments on this? Did anyone move from Blackberry to Nokia without uprising of users?

- Bernhard

aadiawan is offline Starter Member

hi, nice post thanks, it really helps to make decision

dpmchris is offline Special Member

I have had very good results with my iPhone via ActiveSync.

- My iPhone 'Sent' items go to sent folder no problem, YMMV. Maybe a recent update fixed this, I don't know.
    - I am not getting GALs on any handheld devices. I am not able to browse GAL on the BBs either, only in BlackBerry Manager (maybe I am doing something wrong?)
    - I think the iPhone is unique that it allows multiple personal calendars, (even subscribed ics URLs, though those are only read-only and require manual refreshes from within Zimbra calendar far as I can tell.)
    - Can sync multiple personal address books with groups maintained.

Can't say anything of Nokia, as I don't have the ample budget for handheld experimentation. ActiveSync worked very nice on the Treo 700 PalmOS. Our ZCB beta 3 tests are pretty positive, but it does add a level of middleware and licensing costs. Some people hate BBs, others hate the iPhone... personally I am happy to support anything--within reason ;-)

Chris, Purohit Navigation
    Last edited by dpmchris; 02-23-2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Fixed grammar.
    Version 6.0.16_GA_2998.NETWORK Apr 4, 2012 MACOSXx86
    Xserve 2x Dual Core Xeons 10GB with Xserve RAID

Default Nokia E71 vs. Blackberry 8310

Last week I got a Nokia E71 to compare it to our existing Blackberry-solution. I'm comparing: Nokia E71 with direct sync to Zimbra-Server using Nokia's Mail for Exhange to the a Blackberry 8310 with Blackberry Enterprise-Server and Zimbra BB-Connector.

Main issues:
    - Zimbra, please provide access to global address list! There is an application within Nokia Mail for Exchange that is called "Company directory", but searching a user in the GAL does not work. This is a major drawback!
    - Zimbra, please provide the possibility to fully sync the sent mail folders. Currently, mails sent on the Nokia are shown in the Zimbra sent mail folder, but mails sent in zimbra cannot be viewed in the Nokia sent mail folder (this is currently also not possible with the Zimbra Blackberry solution and is a drawback compared to Blackberry/Exchange.

Other things noticed:
    * the Nokia is more complex. Some Blackberry users might find it hard to adapt. But once you know your way around, there are tons of features more. I will try to concentrate on business orientated features...
    - Nokia cannot be charged with USB, only with Nokia power supply :-(
    - Noka does not have standard USB plug, special cable is needed :-(
    + Nokia has WLAN (newer Blackberries do, too)
    + Nokia can have additional mailboxes (POP or IMAP)
    + Nokia has an office suite (word, excel)
    - the Blackberry keyboard is better
    + Nokia has the better camera (can also record movies)

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by krabina View Post
    Main issues:
    - Zimbra, please provide access to global address list! There is an application within Nokia Mail for Exchange that is called "Company directory", but searching a user in the GAL does not work. This is a major drawback!
    - Zimbra, please provide the possibility to fully sync the sent mail folders. Currently, mails sent on the Nokia are shown in the Zimbra sent mail folder, but mails sent in zimbra cannot be viewed in the Nokia sent mail folder (this is currently also not possible with the Zimbra Blackberry solution and is a drawback compared to Blackberry/Exchange
    Please visit bugzilla and see if any enhancements have been filed, if not then file RFEs.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Sync GAL with Nokia Mail for Exchange

Done. please vote for bug: Sync GAL with Nokia Mail for Exchange
    Bug 36885 – Sync GAL with Nokia Mail for Exchange

Second issue: Sync sent items with mobile device
    Bug 36886 – Sync sent items with mobile device

Default No appointment invitations?

I found a big problem with Nokia E71 and Zimbra: I am not able to make an entry to the calender (appointment) and send an invitation to users by e-mail!

Zimbra, can you please confirm this behaviour or am I doing something wrong?

If you recieve an appointment invitation on the E71 you have the options to accept or decline. This is the way it should work.

But sending an appointment by e-mail on the E71 results in a mail with an attachment called "Calendar.vcs". The Zimbra user does not have the possibility to accept or decline the invitation...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information