Thread: Zimbra Mobile Edition vs Zimbra Mobile

cdenley is offline Active Member

Default Zimbra Mobile Edition vs Zimbra Mobile

I'm trying to understand the options available for integration with mobile phones, but the zimbra website is very confusing. They offer "Zimbra Mobile Edition" which is
    compatible with Zimbra Collaboration Suite 4.5+ Open Source and Network Edition and can be used for free
    However, they also offer to sell me "Zimbra Mobile" for $1,000. Are these two seperate products/services? If so, why do they have the same name? Is the difference that the solution you must pay for is compatible with more phones, doesn't require a java program be installed, or integrates better with the phone? Is the non-free option compatible with Zimbra open-source?

mmorse is offline Moderator

The mobile web-client append ?client=mobile or /m/ (there's actually 2 flavors /m/main & /m/mainx) to the end of your url on a 5.0.x box (both NE & FOSS), just like you would do /h/ for the Standard HTML web-client, or at the login screen select mobile.
    More examples of it can be found here: Zimbra for Your Firefox Sidebar » Zimbra :: Blog & iZimbra » Zimbra :: Blog

ZME Zimbra Mobile Edition (open source J2ME client that you can use against either version 4.5+) isn't in your server downloads section yet, you can grab it from a page on the hosted demo via this thread: Zimbra J2ME Beta

Zimbra Mobile (MobileSync) is a NE add-on feature that works with ActiveSync (WM/iPhone/etc). You can use it with your NE trial or the hosted demo. Some configuration instructions can be found at Mobile Device Setup - Zimbra :: Wiki (though there are other specific pages for certain phones as needed) - tested device list.
    iPhone 2.0: Zimbra Mobile for iPhone » Zimbra :: Blog

ZCB (Connector for Blackbery) completes the mobility list.

cdenley is offline Active Member

Thanks. That explains a lot. Is there any page that compares the benefits between the different solutions? Which solution(s) would add zimbra contacts to the phone's internal address book? I don't have a mobile device to test with, and the mobile device we would purchase would depend on the solution we choose.

Titao is offline New Member

Default Add calendar entry in the iphone???

How is this possible?
    * with the Zimbra Mobile Edition, I can only sync ONE calendar. Unacceptable, as I obviously need more than one, like almost anybody else
    * with Zimbra Mobile (the webpage designed for the iphone), I can't find a way to add a calendar entry (why??)
    * Syncing through itunes to ical calendars which are synced with zimbra, I get read-only calendars
    * the only feasible way I found at the moment is to open safari on the iphone, login to zimbra choosing the old html interface, but this is clearly not a reasonable option.

So my question is: how is this possible?

Thanks

Titao

mmorse is offline Moderator

Titao is offline New Member

Thank you very much!

Thread Information