Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Mobile 5 - HTML formatted message

eddie is offline Active Member

Thank you for the answer. I'm pretty sure our problem is specifically the javamail getlinecount() method returning -1 thus causing the system to report 0 lines to the client. We've now got several more users on WM5 seeing exactly the same issue so I'd like to get a fix deployed asap. BTW, I did try to check the status on the bug but it always tells me I don't have permission to view the bug. Thus why I posted my query here. Now, I know you guys probably can't officially recommend deploying into production but how does this beta release look compared to other b2 releases you've had? How many more b releases do you expect before it's a release candidate. Just want to gauge what my risk/reward is. Oh, is there a way to go back to the 3.1.x release if something goes wrong with 3.2b2?

Thanks again.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Eddie - the official release will be out shortly. I recommend you just wait for it.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Thanks Kevin. I'll do that. Is 3.2 going to be named to 4.0? Or did I misunderstand what I read you your site. Thanks.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by eddie
    I'll do that. Is 3.2 going to be named to 4.0? Or did I misunderstand what I read you your site. Thanks.
    No, you didn't misunderstand.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Ok, upgraded a while ago but WM5 clients are still seeing the problem. Also getting reports that evolution and another imap client on Mac OSX is having the same problem. I have not seen this first hand but can vouche for WM5 problems. I manage a server at work and at home so I've been able to compare. At home I use Dovecot. I have a multipart (text/plain + text/html) that I send to both accounts. I've verified that the line count from the "uid fetch ??? BODY" produces the right line count now. So I started digging deeper...

Using tcpflow I was able to capture the transation between the WM5 client and each of the servers. By examining these, I found some key differences. I'll use the convention of "C: ..." for client side send and "S: ..." for server response.

On Zimbra:
    Code:
    C: A8 FETCH 4508 (INTERNALDATE UID FLAGS RFC822.SIZE BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (DATE FROM SUBJECT MESSAGE-ID CONTENT-TYPE X-MS-TNEF-Correlator CONTENT-CLASS IMPORTANCE)] BODYSTRUCTURE)
    S: * 4508 FETCH (UID 32325 INTERNALDATE "09-Nov-2006 16:48:00 -0800" RFC822.SIZE 7936 BODYSTRUCTURE (("TEXT" "PLAIN" NIL NIL NIL "7BIT" 472 21)("TEXT" "HTML" NIL NIL NIL "7BIT" 5674 251) "ALTERNATIVE") BODY[HEADER.FIELDS (DATE FROM SUBJECT MESSAGE-ID CONTENT-TYPE X-MS-TNEF-CORRELATOR CONTENT-CLASS IMPORTANCE)] {297}
    Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 16:47:59 -0800 (PST)
    Subject: test email message
    Message-ID: <40C8ECA7.1060503@somehost.somewhere.com>
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
        boundary="__________MIMEboundary__________"

FLAGS (\Seen))
    On Zimbra:
    Code:
    C: A58 FETCH 2 (INTERNALDATE UID FLAGS RFC822.SIZE BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (DATE FROM SUBJECT MESSAGE-ID CONTENT-TYPE X-MS-TNEF-Correlator CONTENT-CLASS IMPORTANCE)] BODYSTRUCTURE)
    S: * 2 FETCH (UID 2 FLAGS (\Seen) INTERNALDATE "09-Nov-2006 16:48:01 -0800" RFC822.SIZE 8544 BODYSTRUCTURE (("text" "plain" ("charset" "us-ascii") NIL NIL "7bit" 472 21 NIL NIL NIL)("text" "html" ("charset" "us-ascii") NIL NIL "7bit" 5674 250 NIL NIL NIL) "alternative" ("boundary" "__________MIMEboundary__________") NIL NIL) BODY[HEADER.FIELDS (DATE FROM SUBJECT MESSAGE-ID CONTENT-TYPE X-MS-TNEF-CORRELATOR CONTENT-CLASS IMPORTANCE)] {296}
    Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 16:47:59 -0800 (PST)
    Subject: test email message
    Message-ID: <40C8ECA7.1060503@somehost.somewhere.com>
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
        boundary="__________MIMEboundary__________"

)
    Since this is the identical message sent to two places, this shows differences of how each server handles the message and the request. Most of the differences seem pretty innocent and I've verified the WM5 makes the same decision on what the next command is which is to request the first section of the body and both servers produce very similar responses (the exception is that Zimbra does not output flags at the end of the body where dovecot does). The one I suspect is the problem is missing "("charset" "us-ascii")" section after the mime type on Zimbra. The reason I suspect this is that WM5 requests and gets the first section of the body which is consisted with dovecot. That means that WM5 *has* the text/plain part which is fine. The only reason I can think of that causes WM5 to show blank is that it doesn't know how to display what it has. Unfortunately, I have no way to verify my theory.

I'd be happy to help test any fix.

Ok, found a way to validate this theory. I took the message that was failing and simply added "charset=us-ascii" to the Content-Type: line like this...

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Verified that direct connection to the imap port returns the ("charset" "us-ascii") in the bodystructure response. Then tested with wm5 and was able to see the email. In this case, I am able to modify the mime header manually but that is not possible with clients and even if it is, most clients default to not specifying the charset option. All other imap server implementations I've seen default to us-ascii if there is nothing specified. I think it is reasonable to expect your server to do the same. I will check to see if this is required as part of the rfc but it seems like an easy thing to fix.

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

Default Not required by RFC, but required by MS?

The RFC definitely doesn't require a "charset" entry in the set of Content-Type params (see RFC 3501 section 7.4.2). But the WM5 client may. I'll see what I can do about forcing a value for that parameter.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

Default Made the change...

I've put back the change that always supplies a charset on text/plain parts. If you can build from source, please try and let me know if that solves your problem.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

mikea is offline Intermediate Member

Is there any fix for this available?

I'm running Release 4.0.3_GA_406.RHEL4_20061016134107 CentOS4 FOSS edition

- Mike

mikea is offline Intermediate Member

I am able to reproduce this by sending an HTML email from outlook 2003 using word as the editor.. If I send a multi-part mime message (html) it shows up blank on my Motorola Q.. If I send plain text, it works great.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information