Thread: iPhone Time Zone Support and Arizona

Jason Hung is offline Active Member

Default iPhone Time Zone Support and Arizona

It looks like this bug has resurfaced, this time under the iPhone's support for Phoenix, Arizona (MST, no daylight savings time).

The problem? If you enable Time Zone Support for Phoenix, AZ in the iPhone Calendar settings, any event you create will be marked for Time Zone: Africa/Ouagadougou in iCal. This is a rather annoying bug for us Phoenicians because if I turn off Time Zone Support in the iPhone, all of my events appear 1 hour earlier, or if I keep it on, it's displayed correctly in the iPhone and Web client, but in iCal, it's shown 5 hours earlier.

It doesn't seem like a complex fix, but again, we Network Edition customers are at the mercy of the Zimbra developers to resolve this bug. We can't say how happy we are to move from Exchange, but we also need time zones to be functional for us!

Here are some pictures to illustrate the issue.

Issue Example 1

Currently, my timezone is set to the image displayed below:

I'll add an event to my calendar for 10:00 AM, Phoenix iPhone time.

This event is added to my calendar for 10:00 AM on the iPhone:

No problems seeing the event in the Zimbra web client:

However, problems begin to prop up when I view the event in iCal:

I can correct the problem by manually selecting America/Phoenix:

Still this is cumbersome and there are still many other problems with the Phoenix implementation.
    Last edited by Jason Hung; 08-24-2008 at 05:08 AM.

This is just only one of the issues I'm currently experiencing. If I create an event in iCal at 4:00 AM(with timezone set to America/Phoenix), and try to view the same event on the iPhone (still set to Phoenix), the event comes up 1 hour earlier than it should.

Notice that the time is 3:00 AM when it should be 4:00 AM

On the other hand, if I set the iPhone timezone to Los Angeles, the event shows up correctly in iCal, presumably because Los Angeles support is properly implemented and is currently the same time as Phoenix. I am not sure if I create an event in iCal that it will properly set the time, but I will investigate. I'll post a reply with my findings.

I should also mention that in the pictures, the other two events have times posted incorrectly on the iPhone. The Flight to San Francisco is posted on the iPhone for 7:40 is correct for both the iPhone and the iCal (post changing timezone to America/Phoenix); however, the time on the Web Client is incorrect after changing the timezone manually via iCal (notice the flight has become 8:40am for the one to San Francisco, and the one to 上海浦東國際機場/Shanghai Pudong International Airport is now 12:30am when it should be 1:30am). I honestly don't quite understand the logic of the timezone handling....

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

Jason, could you file a bug with the information and reference this forum post? Thanks for all the data!

bartz is offline Junior Member

I am getting the same problem with iCal's "Pacific/Honolulu" timezone. It simply can't read the iPhone's TZID setting of "GMT -10.00" I dont know where to go to add this to this bug, but i would appreciate it if someone added to there or pointed me in the right direction.
    Thanks

btw, its REALLY dumb that iCal and iPhone don't have the same TZID settings. Maybe this will get fixed in the new major update to iCal.

uxbod is offline Moderator

bartz is offline Junior Member

Thanks. Added as 31233 in bugzilla.

Thread Information