• Apple iSync

5 4.10%
  • Other

5 4.10%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Poll] Mobile/Handheld Sync

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Default [Poll] Mobile/Handheld Sync

Just a quick poll to gauge the community's interest in the various mobile/handheld sync options. Please select the option you care about the most. If you want an option that's not listed please post a comment in the thread.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I thought the Palm Treo 650 could also use SyncML? I've voted for Palm sync but if it does SyncML I'd vote for whichever is the best.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Treo can do Palm, ActiveSync (via VersaMail), and I think with extra software SyncML.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

zaf
    zaf is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

If you go with SyncML, at least make it very clear on how to get that working with Palm, and hopefully not dependent upon VersaMail. I've been using ChatterEmail on the Palm and it's a huge step forward. Of course, it doesn't handle contacts/calendar, but does VersaMail?

Richard is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Just a quick poll to gauge the community's interest in the various mobile/handheld sync options. Please select the option you care about the most. If you want an option that's not listed please post a comment in the thread.
    I've chosen one as requested, but unfortunately, I need to support Palms, Pocket PCs, Treos, and BlackBerries with Mac, Linux, and Windows desktops, so... Thanks for anything and everything

Morg0 is offline Active Member

Default As much as i hate windows/outlook

Guys

The heading says it all, unfortunaltely I have to vote for pocket pc because the business world currently revolves around around these two apps.

Eventually we plan to have support for all of these. Just trying to get a pulse as to what the community here feels is the *most* important.

Kirkaiya is offline Senior Member

Default For end-users, Blackberry by far and away...

While many of us (including me) are either developers, or come from an I.T. background, most businesspeople do not.

So while I personally have a phone running Windows CE 4.2 with a custom graphical shell, which syncs with ActiveSync, and other IT people often have SmartPhones, Palm OS devices, etc., the single biggest device I see being used by decision-makers in the business world are Blackberry/RIM devices.

Now that the Blackberry-NTP fight is over, RIM is only going to increase the number of subscribers they have (which is in the *millions* already). I think that the new Treo 7xx series, which runs a version of Win Mobile (aka CE) might make a dent in that, but for now, the executive class in most enterprises use blackberries - and Exchange's ability to sync with Blackberry over-the-air (including access to contacts/calendar) is a huge selling point with them.

A current client of mine, (200+ users in small offices on 4 contintents), just finally moved from POP3 to Exchange, partly because the Regional RDs and CEO & CFO are all crackberry addicts. And... there went about $35,000 (including hardware, I think). Exchange's connection over http (which is native for Zimbra) was another selling point, since these guys are country-hopping constantly.

I voted for Blackberry, not because I have one, but because that's what everybody I will need to support uses, and wants.

brwatters is offline Special Member

Could not have said it better .. Its enteresting the the iSync tool is not getting any traction on the poll however thats the one thats being developed prior to the BlackBerry .. I think the Blackberry has got to be moved forward on the development path as its clearly the largest market share out there ..

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkaiya
    While many of us (including me) are either developers, or come from an I.T. background, most businesspeople do not.

So while I personally have a phone running Windows CE 4.2 with a custom graphical shell, which syncs with ActiveSync, and other IT people often have SmartPhones, Palm OS devices, etc., the single biggest device I see being used by decision-makers in the business world are Blackberry/RIM devices.

Now that the Blackberry-NTP fight is over, RIM is only going to increase the number of subscribers they have (which is in the *millions* already). I think that the new Treo 7xx series, which runs a version of Win Mobile (aka CE) might make a dent in that, but for now, the executive class in most enterprises use blackberries - and Exchange's ability to sync with Blackberry over-the-air (including access to contacts/calendar) is a huge selling point with them.

A current client of mine, (200+ users in small offices on 4 contintents), just finally moved from POP3 to Exchange, partly because the Regional RDs and CEO & CFO are all crackberry addicts. And... there went about $35,000 (including hardware, I think). Exchange's connection over http (which is native for Zimbra) was another selling point, since these guys are country-hopping constantly.

I voted for Blackberry, not because I have one, but because that's what everybody I will need to support uses, and wants.

sam
    sam is offline Zimbra Employee

I think it happened this way because the iSync connector is much lower hanging fruit (no pun intended). Blackberry support requires significantly more effort.
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information