Thread: iphone 3g duplicates contacts thousands of times in zimbra

timwiel is offline Active Member

Exclamation iphone 3g duplicates contacts thousands of times in zimbra

iphone version: 3g
    zimbra version: Version 5.0.0_GA_1869.UBUNTU6.NETWORK Dec 18, 2007

Before reading that the iphone was not fully supported through to version 5.0.7, we setup the activesync connection to our zimbra server with the boss's iphone - everything worked fine for a while with no problems.

However he noticed duplicate contacts starting to appear in his zimbra and on the iphone. Randomly selected contacts would start duplicating to number 10-20 duplicates. Additionally new contacts would be created with the name CONTACT 24731 and duplicate hundreds of times over. After fours days of mail, calendar and contact sync'ing the zimbra addressbook has swelled from 200 contacts to 10241 contacts - all duplicates.

Calendar and mail working perfectly.

I understand this is a problem related to us using 5.0.0 - but has it been noticed by anyone else and will upgrading to 5.0.8 will fix the problem.

Is there anything else I should know about upgrading the zimbra server before I start and will it fix my problem.

Thanks in advance

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

we are aware a duplicate entry problem only when user also does sync with itunes with contact sync turned on in itunes. if that's the case then it's not a bug.

timwiel is offline Active Member

itunes was not installed on the users computer until well after the problem started

I had also turned off contact syncing on the iphone to stop more duplications happening before I installed itunes as well

if you have complete sync.log for this user, from the time he turned on iphone sync, to when the problem was observed, please file a support request with that information. Also please tell us which contacts were duplicated, so that we can look for those in the log.

JasonChase is offline Active Member

I'm running into the same issue with the iPod Touch with the iPhone 2.0 software. I went from 700 contacts to 32,000.

Jason

dustys is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

I experienced the same thing. Went from 1,000 to 25,000 contacts. Not to mention multiple dead batteries on my Touch. :P We were on 5.0.4. We'll be upgrading to 5.0.8 shortly.
    CoSentry - www.cosentry.com - Co-Location & Business Resiliency Solutions

I can't stress enough that using iphone with version prior to 5.0.7 will cause unpredictable results.

rusty is offline Loyal Member

Default duplicate contacts on iPhone 3G

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    I can't stress enough that using iphone with version prior to 5.0.7 will cause unpredictable results.
    I was running 5.0.6 and had same issues as others describe above. The user went from 1200 contacts to 14,500.

I upgraded to 5.0.8 and removed the duplicates on the server. I then removed the exchg acct from the iphone and reconfigured it. During the initial sync, I noticed some duplicates appear that were not duplicated on the main Zimbra account and immediately stopped the process out of fear of having to clean it up again.

The question I have is, is this issue resolved for others that upgraded to 5.0.8?

there's no iphone testing in 5.0.6 so i can't comment on whether there's an issue. starting from 5.0.7 we have not received any formal report of this issue. no internal user has run into this. if you see this issue and and consistently reproduce, please file a support ticket with full log of sync.log, starting from a clean addressbook (meaning no dups) and clean iphone. note the username and time when the sync starts. it will help if you turn off mail/calendar sync when doing this to further isolate the problem.

Thread Information