Thread: Contacts Images and iPhones

Dirk is offline Moderator

Default Contacts Images and iPhones

An iphone 3G connected to a zimbra account, email/contacts/calendar all working fine, but I've an issue with the pictures on each contact.

• Some of the contacts in zimbra already have an image assigned, those images are not visible on the phone.
    • Using the phone, I added an image to a contact and right away, it was available in the webclient in zimbra.
    • I change the contact image in the webclient and then look at the contact on the phone, and the image updates.

Is this expected behaviour?

It looks like the newly added images are being stored in zimbra in a different manner to images added in the past, is there a way to look at the contacts at a low level, some form of zmprov export?
    Last edited by Dirk; 07-17-2008 at 08:47 AM.

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

this only thing i can think of is image type. we only support jpg. do you have non-jpg pictures on these contacts?

Not that I'm aware of, but I've no way to confirm this.

The images were originally taken using the iphone and assigned to a contact on the iphone, then the iphone was synced to itunes and the images passed in through itunes into outlook and through the outlook connector into Zimbra. That's how the images got to Zimbra in the first place.

Those images are the ones that wont pass back down to the phone even though they do show in the web client.

so if you add a new photo directly using webclient UI, will that photo gets synced down to iphone?

exactly right, yes.

Additionally. Working on one of the contacts that has an image in the web client that didnt transfer to the phone, I just deleted an email address on the phone and the contact image was deleted from the web client.

That's a little frustrating.
    Is any of this stuff known issues due to iphone support still being beta?

not a known issue. if this is repeatable, please file a bug with detailed steps. thanks!

I expect it's reproducable, but to do that I'd need to build a server running 5.0.2 NE and sync an iphone 1.1.4 to it via itunes/outlook and then upgrade to 5.0.8 and 2.0 and see what happens.

As I dont deal with a large amount of contacts, and it's no one else in the company is likely to have images already assigned in their contacts I set about a workaround.

I opened each contact in firefox, then used tools-page info to save out the actual 320x320 images stored for the contact and then imported it back in on the web client. Instantly, this caused the photo to be sent back to the phone. Once this was done for all the contacts, I took another iPhone and set that up for activesync to the same account - all images were sent to the phone.

I'm quite sure there's a real issue here, but it's not necessaily an important issue If anyone else comes accross the same issue but has hundreds of contacts to deal with, then this is worth further work, but for now I'd give up on it - it only seems to exist under a legacy set of conditions.

jjzhuang - thanks a lot for your help.

Thread Information