Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iPhone 2.0 Software and ActiveSync Work...but...

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

if you want to use domain in user name, use backslash instead of forward slash.

mmorse is offline Moderator

jrh
    jrh is offline Member

So thanks to this thread I got it working and it's truly a beautiful thing. Push is working great, it even consistently beats out my desktop with web client set to check every 2 minutes. I couldn't believe have how fast it opened up 5mb+ pdf files, which it seems it had already downloaded at some point. Plus, contact pictures now get sent back to Zimbra, which never worked with my pocketpc.

But now I would like to know why SSL doesn't work for the exchange sync. Port 443 is open to the zimbra server, but I do not have a commercial certificate (no complaints from the iphone about that, just guessing). Is that perhaps the reason?

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by jrh View Post
    So thanks to this thread I got it working and it's truly a beautiful thing. Push is working great, it even consistently beats out my desktop with web client set to check every 2 minutes. I couldn't believe have how fast it opened up 5mb+ pdf files, which it seems it had already downloaded at some point. Plus, contact pictures now get sent back to Zimbra, which never worked with my pocketpc.

But now I would like to know why SSL doesn't work for the exchange sync. Port 443 is open to the zimbra server, but I do not have a commercial certificate (no complaints from the iphone about that, just guessing). Is that perhaps the reason?
    SSL should work just fine, although I have not tried any self-signed certificates.

Contacts sync of pictures is new in 5.0.7, which should also work for pocketpc.

cwb
    cwb is offline Starter Member

Does anyone have any insight into exactly how the push works, and what its effect will be on battery life?

I just added Zimbra as an ActiveSync account on my iPhone, and despite being connected to WiFi my computer speakers are going absolutely bonkers with GSM noise.

The phone appears to be "sleeping," but at this rate I can't imagine there is any way I will get through the day on a charge.

Thanks,
    Craig

jrh
    jrh is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    SSL should work just fine, although I have not tried any self-signed certificates.
    Anybody have it working with self-signed? Don't really want to go drop $300 to cover all my domains just so I can have SSL, but if it means new iphones can more easily join I probably will. After demoing off the iphone in the office and seeing how well it handles emails I can see us replacing all the blackberries pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    Contacts sync of pictures is new in 5.0.7, which should also work for pocketpc.
    I did just upgrade to 5.0.7 the night before so that explains that.

troyd is offline Starter Member

Default Installing self-signed certs in iPhone

I just went through this (right up to considering paying a trusted authority). Here's to make a self-signed cert work: Inputs & Outputs*»*Self-signed IMAP SSL certs on iPhone

Troy

mmorse is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forums & thanks for the tip Troy!
    When adding a new Account, iPhone setup will pop up a dialog to confirm the shady self-signed certificate. Even with that acknowledged, it will try to connect and eventually time out. The warning doesn’t mention (nor prompt to install) the root certificate, which will make the cogs turn. Put the CA root cert on any Web server (.crt extension and application/x-x509-ca-cert MIME type), then hit the URL in Safari from the phone.
    You’ll see an Install Profile dialog like in the Enterprise Deployment Guide:

Spencer is offline Senior Member

A little off topic.. What data plan should our users get? Will they need the enterprise plan? I know in the past, we have just gotten the standard data plans with the windows mobile and palm.

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information