Thread: Motorola Q9C or Blackberry Curve?

Stergil is offline Senior Member

Default Blackberry Curve over the air sync?

I'm new to NE edition and am in the process of getting a new smartphone to take advantage of the mobile capabilities.

Verizon is offering both the Motorola Q9C & Blackbery Curve with the plans & features I'm interested in and can afford.

I've done a fair bit of searching on the forums for opinions and feedback but what I've come across seems to raise more questions for me than answers. I recall reading posts that mentioned you need a Blackberry server to sync to Blackberry devices. Then I saw mention of a J2ME client installed on a Blackberry. Then I saw a forum dedicated to a Blackberry connector.

I'm ultimately looking for Calendar/Email/Contact sync, over the air wirelessly. Given that, and these two phones as options does anyone have any suggestion as to which would operate more smoothly with those tasks? Perhaps both will function well or one won't function at all?

Aesthetics of the phone & personal preference aside, I'm mostly looking for feedback on functional capabilities.

Any experience or direction is greatly appreciated

EDIT:
    I just came across a separate forum post indicating that a user had great success with the Motorola Q9C, so I suppose my question has turned into will NE with Mobile Sync work properly with a Blackberry Curve?

Title updated accordingly.
    Last edited by Stergil; 07-08-2008 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Stumbled across a partial answer while browsing the forums.

Lynner is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

I have tried the Mobile Clients on a Blackberry Curve V8330 and my phone freezes everytime I have tried to run the client. Now that could just be my phone issues on its own, But we have a BES server and I have my phone hooked up to that and it works great I usually get e-mails on my phone sooner than I get it on my computer. Now I have noticed some issues with the BES but a quick restart of the server gives it a temp fix.
    I hope this sheds some insight on your question.
    Eric J Lynner
    Dynamic Business Solutions

“Computers are good at following instructions, but not at reading your mind.”
    – Donald Knuth

Thanks much for the reply, it does shed some light on it for me.

bradb21 is offline Advanced Member

I can report that the Q9c works great. I had a couple running WinMo 6.0 for about six months, and I recently upgraded them to WinMo 6.1 when Sprint released the upgrade. They worked great at 6.0 and 6.1. FYI: Tasks syncing is not available yet, and is targeted for Zimbra 5.5 release.
    Release 6.0.2_GA_1912.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 NETWORK edition + Mobile Option
    Activesync with Moto Q9C, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pro, & Palm Pre

Great to hear, looks like the Q9c will be the choice.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Thread Information