Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Synchronization or Sync to PDA

ga-ds1 is offline Junior Member

Exclamation MAPI connector and use of 3rd-party sync tools.

Per comment below, there are numerous 3rd party sync tools available.

I see mention that MAPI-connector allows for interoperability -- with products like Intellisync, etc.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand. I understand that MAPI-connector is the "Outlook connector" (in reality). Does Zimbra team expect Outlook to be used for end-user thick client application to leverage all 3rd party sync tools (like Intellisync, etc)??

What about users/companies who have specifically avoided M$-based products -- and encourage users to use non-M$ apps (and OS for that matter ... but this is different battle).

Example: a remote user with Thunderbird, Firefox, and a Palm PDA (on WinXP -- OpenOffice ... no M$ Office).

Will Zimbra MAPI_connect still install if OUtlook not present, so user can leverage Intellisync to sync Zimbra account to Palm for AB, Calendar, and Mail??

Side note: we are doing IMAP_over_SSL for wireless PDA to Sun-based mail server today. this is no brainer stuff ... but the contact and calendar sync are THE issue.

Pls advise. -GA

Quote Originally Posted by zappepcs
    I've searched for information specifically mentioning Intellisync. I own (and love it) the Danger Hiptop II (SideKick II from T-Mobile in the US) and as they are only dealing with Intellisync for sync software, I would really like to know if you have plans to work with any particular vendors of sync software? I want to use the OSS version of Zimbra ZCS on Linux (mostly FC4) and be able to sync my SideKick to Zimbra. Any news or hints you have are appreciated.
    Cheers

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by ga-ds1
    Per comment below, there are numerous 3rd party sync tools available.

I see mention that MAPI-connector allows for interoperability -- with products like Intellisync, etc.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand. I understand that MAPI-connector is the "Outlook connector" (in reality). Does Zimbra team expect Outlook to be used for end-user thick client application to leverage all 3rd party sync tools (like Intellisync, etc)??

What about users/companies who have specifically avoided M$-based products -- and encourage users to use non-M$ apps (and OS for that matter ... but this is different battle).

Example: a remote user with Thunderbird, Firefox, and a Palm PDA (on WinXP -- OpenOffice ... no M$ Office).

Will Zimbra MAPI_connect still install if OUtlook not present, so user can leverage Intellisync to sync Zimbra account to Palm for AB, Calendar, and Mail??

Side note: we are doing IMAP_over_SSL for wireless PDA to Sun-based mail server today. this is no brainer stuff ... but the contact and calendar sync are THE issue.

Pls advise. -GA

We hear you. MAPI/Outlook plug-in gives you desktop sync today. Intellisync is not on the roadmap today, but we are working on a couple other options that will give you full sync on your palm device. Stay tuned for some annoucements on these in the coming months.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Question

Hey Kevin --

Clarification for me: I've heard about "Outlook plug-in" and "MAPI-provider".

Are these the same thing -- if not, what is intended use for MAPI-provider??

Example: if MAPI-provider exposed API for 3rd party apps, would you use this as platform to develop your upcoming sync tools (ie. eat your own dog food)??

Also, will the "MAPI-provider" require Outlook (will it require Win-tel platform?)?

Thanks in adv. -G

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    We hear you. MAPI/Outlook plug-in gives you desktop sync today. Intellisync is not on the roadmap today, but we are working on a couple other options that will give you full sync on your palm device. Stay tuned for some annoucements on these in the coming months.

Hey Kevin --

Clarification for me: I've heard about "Outlook plug-in" and "MAPI-provider".

Are these the same thing -- if not, what is intended use for MAPI-provider??

Example: if MAPI-provider exposed API for 3rd party apps, would you use this as platform to develop your upcoming sync tools (ie. eat your own dog food)??

Also, will the "MAPI-provider" require Outlook (will it require Win-tel platform?)?

Thanks in adv. -G
    Yes they are the same thing. In all cases requires a Win32 box to run.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default Windows Sync without Outlook requirement??

While I understand Zimbra must shoot for largest established user community with it's first "thick client desktop sync" solution, we are a network security firm that attempts to avoid anything Microsoft for email (ie. Outlook or Outlook Express). The potential security issues -- and resultant black eye should be relay/propagate/introduce worm or virii -- would essentially put us out of business.

Thus, we mostly use Wintel platform (necessary evil) but would prefer to avoid Outlook requirement. Also, we do have contractors who use exclusively Linux/Fedora.

Do you have anything in works for Zimbra Sync for (a) Wintel but NO Outlook, and (b) non-Wintel platform -- Fedora desktop??

The specific use-case for user with PalmOS-based PDA (ie. not PocketPC) using Linux laptop -- or WinXP without Outlook.

Are we SOL (note: we've already bought Enterprise Ed.)?? -GA

Yes they are the same thing. In all cases requires a Win32 box to run.

sam
    sam is offline Zimbra Employee

There are solutions under development that will provide OTA sync for Treo 650's. You aren't completely SOL :-).

While I understand Zimbra must shoot for largest established user community with it's first "thick client desktop sync" solution, we are a network security firm that attempts to avoid anything Microsoft for email (ie. Outlook or Outlook Express). The potential security issues -- and resultant black eye should be relay/propagate/introduce worm or virii -- would essentially put us out of business.

Thus, we mostly use Wintel platform (necessary evil) but would prefer to avoid Outlook requirement. Also, we do have contractors who use exclusively Linux/Fedora.

Do you have anything in works for Zimbra Sync for (a) Wintel but NO Outlook, and (b) non-Wintel platform -- Fedora desktop??

The specific use-case for user with PalmOS-based PDA (ie. not PocketPC) using Linux laptop -- or WinXP without Outlook.

Are we SOL (note: we've already bought Enterprise Ed.)?? -GA
    There will be other options that can sync to Zimbra without Outlook or a Wintel platform. The two that we are working on first are ActiveSync (Windows Mobile Devices, PocketPC, etc) and Sync4J connector that will handle SyncML devices (Most PalmOS devices should work with SyncML).

Richard is offline Senior Member

There will be other options that can sync to Zimbra without Outlook or a Wintel platform. The two that we are working on first are ActiveSync (Windows Mobile Devices, PocketPC, etc) and Sync4J connector that will handle SyncML devices (Most PalmOS devices should work with SyncML).
    First, we are very happy with Zimbra and have begun our migration. However, we do have these "treo-addicts" and a crackberry or two. Do you have an approximate time frame for a beta of a non-Outlook/Wintel sync solution? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    First, we are very happy with Zimbra and have begun our migration. However, we do have these "treo-addicts" and a crackberry or two. Do you have an approximate time frame for a beta of a non-Outlook/Wintel sync solution? Thanks.

Your best bet would be to ping sales@zimbra.com they are maintaining a list of interested parties and when we decide to open the public beta of these those folks will be the first to know.

jonnyRo is offline Project Contributor

Default PocketPC Sync with Outlook Connector

Hello,

I have never owned a PocketPC device before, but a few of our managers have them. We also have a few Treo 650's and a Palm Tungsten T5.

Each of these devices support synchronization with Outlook in the classic sense. Will they interoperate with Outlook if the MAPI profile has been set to the Zimbra connector?

One area which I would be especially curious about would be the use of Shared Contacts (GAL) and Shared Calendars.

I am thinking about buying a PocketPC to do some testing. I already have my own T5.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information