Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-Mobile Non-Outlook Palm Sync

lapplegate is offline Junior Member

Default Non-Mobile Non-Outlook Palm Sync

[This is a re-post, as my original post ran into some difficulties when I tried to edit it later and the only fix was to delete it.]

I've *finally* been able to get our Tungsten E2s to successfully sync with our Zimbra server. This also worked for the few Palm TXs we have.

It was frustrating figuring all this out, because while I dug around in these forums extensively I never did find anything that had *all* the pieces I needed. I did find a lot of people wanting to be able to sync non-mobile Palms without having to use Outlook so hopefully this will help somebody else who wants to do the same thing.

This is what I've done:

0) Did a full sync on the Palms with our old calendar server, so all calendar data on the Palms was current.

1) Installed a PPP program on the sync PC so the Palm could get a network connection. The one I'm using is Softick PPP. I like it because it worked for me (always a good thing), and because you don't have to install any software on the Palm itself, and also because it has the ability to create a debug log, which has been extremely helpful.

2) Upgraded to VersaMail 3.5; this version seems to runs fine on the E2s. Most of our E2s are newish, and came with 3.1 installed, but it gave me some trouble and since 3.5 gives you the ability to sync your contacts, I upgraded them.

3) Configured VersaMail for an Exchange ActiveSync connection to the Zimbra server.

4) Sync must be initiated by VersaMail on the Palm; performing a standard HotSync will not sync with the Zimbra server. This means that our staff members will need a little re-training, since the sync with our old calendar server was done via standard HotSync.

5) VersaMail can be configured to sync all (mail, calendar, contacts) or each piece can sync on it's own. Since we want to sync calendar only, I've configured VersaMail to not download any mail. But in my testing, mail synced fine.

6) We're in the process of rolling it out to all our staff members with Palms, and so far it's been working really well.

7) So our additional outlay was a copy of Softick PPP for each computer and the upgrade to VersaMail 3.5 for each Palm, but I no longer have to buy antacid by the case so it's a wash.

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

You reported "good so far." How'd it go over time?

I noticed several negative user-contributed comments at the bottom of Palm - Software Connection

I'm thinking of going down the same route to support our ancient palms. For years, people have been complaining that newer devices can't sync with GroupWise, but now some people are saying we need to delay migration because of a small number of people with older devices. You can't win.

lapplegate is offline Junior Member

It's been about 2 1/2 months now, and is working quite well.

We have run into problems with a Palm app called "AIMSweb" that some of our teachers use. AIMSweb is a fairly specialized K-12 application that has a very annoying habit of completely deleting all Zimbra calendar entries, and then on subsequent syncs will also delete the calendar on the Palm. I don't know exactly why it is doing this, but seems to be a problem with the app apparently interfering with all conduits other than the Palm desktop. Since we don't sync Zimbra using the Palm desktop, I think what we have here is "a failure to communicate". :-)

When this would happen, I had to restore the mailbox from the backups to get the teacher's calendar back, and we've now configured things so the teachers with AIMSweb don't use their Palm calendars. There aren't too many of them, so it hasn't been a real problem.

Other than that, the standard PPP/VersaMail 3.5 sync is working very well for everybody else.

Lisa

We're probably going to be forced to use Outlook conduits after all. Ick. A nontrivial number of users are demanding Tasks/ToDo sync, which VersaMail does not support. But thanks for the suggestion.

(Someone should mark this thread [SOLVED].)

ansate is offline Starter Member

Default Great article, what about Mac Users

Great walk through for syncing on Windows. I have recently migrated from both Outlook to Zimbra and from PC to Mac.

Bascially, how would one sync their non-internet equipped Palm Pilot with their Mac computer (via USB) with an online Zimbra account?

I believe Softick PPP is for PC only, so how does one establish a connection to sync the PDA if they are using a Mac? My main thing is to sync my Calender and Contacts onto the PDA.

Since I don't have an intel-chip Mac, does anyone know of running Zimbra Desktop functioning like Outlook in terms of syncing between a PDA-and-computer via USB?

Much Thanks!

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

Zimbra Desktop is not intended for doing USB PDA sync. Thanks!

This seems to be the only game in town: Mac-to-Mac Synchronization, OS X Sync for Palm OS, Windows Mobile 5, Windows Mobile 6, Smartphone, Pocket PC, BlackBerry & Sony PSP

It's a two-level sync from Zimbra to iCal and AddressBook (requires ZCS Network Edition), and from there to the device.

mickier is offline Loyal Member

Default Non-outlook sync

This non-outlook sync how-to DOES NOT WORK without the Exchange connector [server] right?
    (Because this how-to doesn't appear to work on the opensource 5.0.8.)

It will sync to MAIL only if I use imap, but I was trying to sync the calendar/datebook

Is that correct? Please clarify -

Is there any way to sync to palm calendar without exchange connector?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mickier View Post
    This non-outlook sync how-to DOES NOT WORK without the Exchange connector [server] right?
    That's correct.

(Because this how-to doesn't appear to work on the opensource 5.0.8.)
    It's a Network Edition feature.

It will sync to MAIL only if I use imap, but I was trying to sync the calendar/datebook

Is that correct? Please clarify -
    That's correct.

Is there any way to sync to palm calendar without exchange connector?
    No.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

corricello is offline Starter Member

thanks for the helpful post as I am having a HUGE problem with this. I've tried Softick, but I don't seem to be able to add it from the Palm Desktop, nor sync it with Zimbra. Softick help has not responded - any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information