Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outlook/Mobile Sync, Open Source vs. Network Editions?

tobiasly is offline New Member

Default Outlook/Mobile Sync, Open Source vs. Network Editions?

I have read with interest Zimbra's planned support for sync (e.g. Sync4j, etc.) and Outlook/MAPI support in these forums, however then I see that these features are planned for only the "Network" (i.e. non-open-source) edition?

http://www.zimbra.com/products/what_version.html

Can someone from Zimbra confirm that these features will not be available to the open-source users? Thanks...

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Outlook/MAPI is network only. The other planned features are still undecided, we'll be sure to make this clear when those features come. In general we don't plan to put things in network vs open source. It hinges on several factors both technical and legal so hard to say until the features are complete.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

tobiasly is offline New Member

Great, thanks for clarifying this.. I'm very interested in deploying the Zimbra platform but until/unless it can do *some* sort of sync w/ mobile devices, its usefulness will be limited for my application. Of course I understand the legal and other issues though. I'm really looking forward to seeing where these features will come into play!

bjquinn is offline Advanced Member

Default Availability of future features in the open source version...

When there is eventually an open source MAPI connector, do you guys plan to try to integrate it into your open source version? I'm kinda confused as to what exactly your company is trying to do. Are you trying to create an open source solution that all-but works for corporate situations, leaving out some key factors such as Outlook connectivity, therefore small shops could theoretically use the free version, but the big shops have to shell out the cash? (Somewhat understandable -- if you're a company, you have to make money somehow, I guess.) Or are you trying to make your money off providing a (mostly) free product and subsequently making your money off support (as a kind of a consulting company almost)? Or are you simply trying to do all you can open source and when, darn it, it comes down to either providing a feature through a third party that's making you pay them (therefore we pay you), or not providing it at all, then and only then do you make us pay you? (At which point I would wonder where you do intend on getting your money from and how your venture capitalists intend on getting a return on their investments.) I guess I'm also just wondering if you're likely to stifle or facilitate things like integrating in an open source MAPI connector when one exists in the future, due to the fact that that's one of the only reasons at least small to mid-size businesses would ever buy the Network version, even though larger businesses might want the support and the good feeling in their belly knowing they paid for something and therefore somebody had better make sure it keeps working. What are you guys?! Anyway, regardless, your stuff is really cool, even if I can't quite find a way to use it yet!

Well I don't have all your answers on our biz model. We've got an open source version that is IMHO one of the best out there in both free (as in beer) and pay-for software world. I'll let you be the judge. The company needs to have some income to fund future development of Zimbra. The Zimbra Network is just that. It is a combination of support (various levels), and some features that for licensing or biz reasons are not in the open source edition. So while looking into my Zimbra crystal ball I can't say what will or will not be in the open source version down the road you can bet from our current release history it will be nothing short of industry leading.

If the Zimbra community decides to write a open source MAPI connector or anyother Network feature for that matter we'll be sure to have a look. No way to promise it if will get included but there's nothing stopping the community from taking on such a challenge. Our api's are all open and documented so in that sense we are not preventing it.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

mattdono is offline Active Member

Default Other than IMAP/Outlook Sync

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Outlook/MAPI is network only. The other planned features are still undecided, we'll be sure to make this clear when those features come. In general we don't plan to put things in network vs open source. It hinges on several factors both technical and legal so hard to say until the features are complete.
    Kevin...on another thread (Synchronization or Sync to PDA, you said...

There will be other options that can sync to Zimbra without Outlook or a Wintel platform. The two that we are working on first are ActiveSync (Windows Mobile Devices, PocketPC, etc) and Sync4J connector that will handle SyncML devices (Most PalmOS devices should work with SyncML).
    So, will these other options only be available in the Network Edition also, or will these be available for the OpenSource edition?

Quote Originally Posted by mattdono
    So, will these other options only be available in the Network Edition also, or will these be available for the OpenSource edition?
    Current plan is that the enterprise mobility support(full sync, for various protocols, handhelds, phones) will be in the Network Edition only.

mattdono is offline Active Member

Default Personal Management

Current plan is that the enterprise mobility support(full sync, for various protocols, handhelds, phones) will be in the Network Edition only.
    That's cool. Certainly understandable.

And, this may come as a shock on a tech forum, but I use Franklin Planning methods (and the good old planner) for most of my task and goal planning and the PDA can sometimes be a distraction. Franklin planning is an excellent process that, frankly, can be a little more complicated when you add the operation of software.

Besides, I can always export my contact list from Zimbra, occassionally, and sync it with my phone software. It may not be "no action" sync, but it's easy enough.

seth is offline Active Member

How do you "export" from your contacts (or cal for that matter) and do a manual sync?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Seth

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by seth View Post
    How do you "export" from your contacts (or cal for that matter) and do a manual sync?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Seth
    If you have a problem you should say what it is in a new thread not add your post to something that is almost 18 months old. You can export your contacts via the user options tab.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information