Thread: Top Projects - Google Summer of Code

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Default Top Projects - Google Summer of Code

We've moved our Top Projects page to the wiki so anyone can add/edit it. Feel free to add things to the list that you want. This is a good place for Zimlet ideas or integration with external services or other OSS projects.

http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Top_Projects

We've also applied to be part of Google's Summer of code. If we are accepted this list will help students focus ideas and get a feel for what type of projects the Zimbra community is interested in.

If your a student interested in getting paid to work on Zimbra this summer please PM me and I'll add you to the list of folks we notify if/when we are accepted.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

benajnim is offline Starter Member

Default Google and Zimbra

Applying to Google's Summer of Code is a great idea, and I'd certainly love to see them putting Zimbra on the docket for student-contributed enhancements. I would be shocked if it happened, being that the Zimbra collaboration suite is a competitor to the GMail service. In fact, as a user of both, they are closer in functionality than any other mail client/service I've seen.

Google's recent addition of calendaring puts Zimbra even more at odds.
    If you haven't seen it yet, I'd recommend taking a look. It has some cool (albeit arguably non-critical) features such as SMS notification of upcoming appointments (on an event-basis opposed to the global alters we have in Zimbra now).

Very excited for Zimbra, the vendor-lockin inherent in the Gmail service kills it dead in the water for us.

iansbrainstorm is offline Active Member

Google is quite different, Zimbra is far supperiour and I use Gmail and their callendar from time to time generaly when I don't want to be identified It unfortunatly has two issues that need addressing.

1. I need to work out why some of my computers show the wrong timezone when entering items in the calendar.
    2. The browser interface is slow when connecting to the USA from Australia. Gmail is a lot faster but gmail it is loading less content on their page.

Ian

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by iansbrainstorm
    1. I need to work out why some of my computers show the wrong timezone when entering items in the calendar.
    2. The browser interface is slow when connecting to the USA from Australia. Gmail is a lot faster but gmail it is loading less content on their page.
    1) Please file this if not already in bugzilla.

2) We are working on an HTML-lite version to help in extreme cases of low bandwidth.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Thread Information