Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Large should the zdb Files be?

tbovingdon is offline Special Member

Post How Large should the zdb Files be?

I am noticing that my users windows profiles are increasing in size at an alarming rate (some are 2B +).

90% of this size increase is due to very large zdb files 500mb and up. should this be the case?

dlochart is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbovingdon View Post
    I am noticing that my users windows profiles are increasing in size at an alarming rate (some are 2B +).

90% of this size increase is due to very large zdb files 500mb and up. should this be the case?
    I am glad we are not the only ones witnessing this (not trying to sound mean or anything). My counterpart submitted a support case for this same issue and never heard a word from anyone. We are having a case now (which I will post a separate thread about) where if someone tries to send a large attachment (say 75megs) and the limit is say 20 megs everything just falls apart. The zdb file continues to grow. My counterpart was somewhat successful in renaming the zdb file to a pst and importing it directly so the formats are somewhat compatible. I wonder if the compact facility in Outlook can be used on the zdb files?

sam
    sam is offline Zimbra Employee

Zdb's do not reclaim disk space automatically. We're working on allowing you to reclaim the disk space. Track bug 12312 for progress on this issue.
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::

dlochart is offline Advanced Member

thanks for that tidbit

tbovingdon is offline Special Member

agreed thanks for the info,

in the mean time can we delete the files with out fear of losing settings etc?

Rubble is offline Intermediate Member

Default How about a mode to not cache?

Most of my users are not on laptops, they are using desktops that we have configured to automatically start Citrix sessions. We have Zimbra on one machine, 2 load-balanced Citrix machines, and a fileserver that is also the primary AD controller. It's neat that laptop users can work offline and all, but when I take a step back the situation with my desktop users is kind of dumb:

- the "reference" copy of their mail/cal/contacts is on the zimbra server

- the users have Outlook running on one of the Citrix machines, with a complete copy of the data that is on the zimbra machine located 12 inches away

- when the users log in and out, their profile gets moved/copied/cached between the citrix machines and the fileserver, and because we didn't setup roaming profiles, we can't currently relocate the ZDB file, so this gets copied around too. Which can take a long time.

We are hoping to get to the point where the ZDB file is located on the fileserver, but even so, it would be a ton easier if we could set a mode in the outlook connector to not keep a copy of all the data. Can there be a mode where it queries zimbra headers, fetches bodies on demand, etc? Fetch a month of data at a time? That kind of thing?

I'm not going to file an RFE yet, just want a discussion of whether it is even possible. Does MAPI allow it? Could Zimbra do it?

mgibeault is offline Intermediate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rubble View Post
    ... it would be a ton easier if we could set a mode in the outlook connector to not keep a copy of all the data. Can there be a mode where it queries zimbra headers, fetches bodies on demand, etc? Fetch a month of data at a time? That kind of thing?
    That would be the BEST for us too!
    Where can I vote for that?

-Marc

mmorse is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rubble View Post
    ... it would be a ton easier if we could set a mode in the outlook connector to not keep a copy of all the data. Can there be a mode where it queries zimbra headers, fetches bodies on demand, etc? Fetch a month of data at a time? That kind of thing?...
    Bug 11962 - Sync Mode: Headers Only, Rest On Demand
    -though I see that Marc's already found/commented on it; don't forget to put yourselves on the CC list
    Last edited by mmorse; 10-29-2007 at 04:20 PM.

mgibeault is offline Intermediate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Bug 11962 - Sync Mode: Headers Only, Rest On Demand

-though I see that Marc's already found/commented on it; don't forget to put yourselves on the CC list
    Done, Thanks!

mmorse is offline Moderator

BTW, seeing as this thread was from several months back - Bug 12312 - ZCO should support ZDB file compaction has been completed for the next release

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information