Thread: Connector crashes periodically

petter is offline New Member

Question Connector crashes periodically

Hi Guys,

Figured I post this here before filing a bug report in case someone have seen this before.

The following behavior have been replicated on Windows Vista w/ Outlook 2003 and Windows XP with Outlook 2003, both clean installs with only Windows and Outlook installed.

Periodically over the day Outlook crashes for no apparent reason during normal use and give the error message: Can’t open this item. Another application closed unexpectedly while using your Personal Folders file ‘C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook \Outlook.zdb’. To prevent potential damage to your Personal Folders file, it will not be available until you close all applications currently using it.

Even using only Outlook this happens and the only thing that will fix it is restarting Outlook or we get that message trying to access any folders on Zimbra using Outlook. Using web client is not affected.

This happened both on Zimbra 4.5.4 and 4.5.5. Clean install of server have not fixed the problem.

Gonna stop here. If anyone have seen something similar feel free to share the information.

Thanks
    Petter

aacquani is offline Starter Member

Default Same here

My boss is having the same issue.

Any ideas anyone? Anything to debug?

paul123 is offline Active Member

Not sure what happened here but it seems the forum lost some previous posts in the last few hours as I replied to this a few hours ago but it is missing. Here is what I posted before
    Have you tried resyncing the ZDB's or remaking the outlook profile.
    And someone posted the following response, that I received via email but then the forum went down again and the posts were then missing
    No. My plan is to try to see if anything else is running that 'might' be using outlook. He has Snagit in his outlook toolbar.

If I can't find any head way I suggested removing the old scalix connector code, uninstalling the zimbra connector and trying again. HOWEVER, he's particular about his nicknmames file and I don't want to wipe that out again so a new ZDB might be in order.

Anyone know of any lsof type tools for MS?
    So the following is my response to that

You don't have to wipe out the nickname file. You can actually copy your current NK2 file into another profile. The NK2 files are located under C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\ and there name is the outlook profile name e.g. if your outlook profile is called Zimbra then the NK2 will be Zimbra.NK2. All you have to do is backup this NK2 file and either remake the profile or make a new profile and copy this file back to its location, copying over the new NK2. And you should then still have all your cached email addresses.

Apparently you can get NK2 editing programs to make these files. Never looked into it.

As for the lsof tool for MS, try process explorer http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx
    Not excatly the same but might help

Hope that makes sense
    Paul

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by aacquani View Post
    My boss is having the same issue.

Any ideas anyone? Anything to debug?
    Some information about the installed server & connector version might help. Have you tried recreating the profile and doing a complete sync of the Outlook that's having the problem? You can turn on logging, details here and raise a case with support.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

aacquani is offline Starter Member

See bug 6255

Version 4.5.5 server
    Version 4.5.4 client
    Version 4.5.5 client

All crash.

Open outlook
    Open office
    Send email from office app ( File, Send file via email as attachment )
    Go to outlook ( all is well )
    Go to office, close office
    Go to outlook. Outlook will ERROR out with the message about another application closing and zdb file.

Thread Information