Thread: Outlook/ADS password syncing

russgalleywood is offline Elite Member

Default Outlook/ADS password syncing

Apologies in advance if anyone has already posted a similar thread but I can't find anything exactly like this.

I now have our Network Edition of 4.5 up and running live within my company!
    The install has gone surprisingly smoothly and everybody seems quite happy with our new mail set-up.

What I now want to is synchronise our Zimbra user passwords with Active Directory. This is easily accomplished using the Admininterface, in fact I've never used a piece of software that did this so well!
    Trouble is, Outlook, for the many users using it with the Zimbra connector, (I am not one of those as I hate Outlook!).
    Every time the ADS password changes for a user they just have to key that newly chosen password in on the Zimbra login window, great and simple. But of course, it works differently for the Outlook users.
    I imagine the Zimbra connector settings window will appear on screen the next time they open Outllok after changing their password and tell them the password is now wrong.
    This is fine and understandable but is there any better way to handle this?

This may sound like a stupid question but when I activate the ADS login with Zimbra it's the first one I'll get! Any excuse to moan about Linux and my users will jump on it!
    I also realise this is almost entirely an Outlook issue but am I missing anything obvious with this?
    Basically is there a way to get Outlook to know the new ADS user password without asking you for it every 45 days or am I just talking complete s**t!

Thanks Guys.

Russ

marcmac is offline Expert Member

If you change the password on the server, you have to re-enter it on your clients. That's the whole point of changing your password.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Thanks for your help Marcmac.

zaf
    zaf is offline Partner (VAR/HSP)

Quote Originally Posted by marcmac View Post
    If you change the password on the server, you have to re-enter it on your clients. That's the whole point of changing your password.
    I think what he was getting at would be if ZCO would use NTLM authentication to pass a user's windows login to the Zimbra server. Sounds like a good candidate for an RFE to me.

sam
    sam is offline Zimbra Employee

It is a great RFE, please file it and the correct approach is probaby to go the SPNEGO route:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPNEGO
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::

Yes, that is what I was getting at so thanks Guys.

It's not Zimbra's fault I know, it's just that unless you buy MS Exchange to use with Outlook then Microsoft do not give you certain features such as this.

Which is unusual as they are usually so generous with features on their excellent products!

Just something for the future perhaps. My Users will just have to survive without it.

Thanks again.

Russ

AbbyEdwards is offline Starter Member

My organization is really interested in migrating from Exchange to Zimbra, and I'd love to find out how to track the status of this RFE if possible (if it was ever submitted).

Any new updates in the past 9 months or so?

To be honest I had forgotten about this and we just survive the standard way but it would be a useful enhancement.
    Feel free to go ahead and submit the feature request if you wish and let me know the bug number so i can vote for it.

I have just returned from holiday to find our Zimbra installation has crashed big time and am currently restoring all the users back on so will probably forget about this again otherwise!

Thanks

Russ

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyEdwards View Post
    My organization is really interested in migrating from Exchange to Zimbra, and I'd love to find out how to track the status of this RFE if possible (if it was ever submitted).

Any new updates in the past 9 months or so?
    Information on bug reports and RFEs are tracked in bugzilla, have a look here. You can vote on the bugs and add yourself to anything you're interested in following - you'll have to create an account first.
    Last edited by phoenix; 05-17-2007 at 04:27 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information