Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Autocomplete from GAL

paul123 is offline Active Member

I thought this was a limitation of Outlook.

I just tried the other method you described and it works, thanks I did not know you could do that.

Do you know if Outlook 2007 might have this feature? Also while on the 2007 subject will Zimbra be supporting 2007 Outlook in the near future?

moniker is offline Loyal Member

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    correct, inline autocomplete comes from the nickname cache. outlook will try to match whatever you type after you are done typing one recipients name. IE,

type 'Sam' in the to text field
    start typing the subject and message. If outlook can resolve 'Sam' to someone in the GAL, it will do that.

If you want inline auto-completion against the GAL, you'll have to call microsoft for that one as it is an outlook feature.
    I could have swore at a previous job that Outlook+Exchange would complete from a GAL even if I'd never typed that person's email before, but I guess I'm wrong. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: From Microsoft - "When you type the first letter of a name in one of these boxes, AutoComplete begins to suggest possible matches based on names you have typed before. "

I guess I was mistaken then! Thanks!
    Last edited by moniker; 02-06-2007 at 10:03 AM.

g00_t is offline Junior Member

I'm confused and have searched all over the site. I have a notebook and desktop each has outlook connector installed. notebook autocompletes from gal (just like web client) desktop does not. I have looked at every setting I can imagine ... any ideas? BTW,
    I verified it's not an nk2 file
    what's the final word? does outlook autocomplete from GAL. I say obviously it does because my notebook is doing it, although magically I guess.

*****************EDIT*******************

I feel silly, while experimenting, I somehow imported the GAL into my .NK2 file. This is why I thought autocomplete was natively supported in Outlook.
    Last edited by g00_t; 03-26-2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: senior moment

alee is offline Former Zimbran

Quote Originally Posted by g00_t View Post
    I'm confused and have searched all over the site. I have a notebook and desktop each has outlook connector installed. notebook autocompletes from gal (just like web client) desktop does not. I have looked at every setting I can imagine ... any ideas? BTW, I verified it's not an nk2 file

what's the final word? does outlook autocomplete from GAL. I say obviously it does because my notebook is doing it, although magically I guess
    can you bring up the GAL and then go to "Tools|Options" of that dialog?
    you should see options for which address book shows up first and which address books are used (in which order) to resolve contacts.
    what does it say there? Is the GAL listed? Is the GAl on this desktop populated with contacts?

sam
    sam is offline Zimbra Employee

outlook autocomplete doesn't work like ZWC autocomplete.

For more info on how outlook auto complete works:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...766471033.aspx
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::

glassman is offline Active Member

Question Outlook Autocomplete Cache and Zimbra

Hello,

I came across this thread searching for a resolution to a client's issue that is the same. His Autocomplete for addressing his emails suddenly stopped working. It appears that his contacts are gone and so the cache has nothing to go on. The issue is that when you do a search for an *.nk2 file it only brings up the Zimbra Office Data File.

My question is what would cause the contacts to disappear and is there a way to repopulate the contacts?

Thanks

I have had that issue before of the auto complete failing and it usually means the .NK2 file has corrupted itself (probably too big) and all you can do is re-create the file by deleting the old one and letting Outlook create a new file. Although you maybe able to restore from a backup if you have roaming profiles etc.

The file should be located in C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\%outlookprofilename%.NK2

Hope that helps

glassman is offline Active Member

Smile

The issue is that there is NO .nk2 file at all. It is only zimbra files zdb and such. I've searched the computer with and without folders being hidden. The only that comes up in a windows search for *.nk2 is the Zimbra DB (Data Management file). So I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

If it is not there you may have a problem with the Outlook profile. Best bet is to remake the profile and see if that works. Unless you can restore the file from a backup I would say it has been lost.

FYI, you can load other users .NK2 files into the profile by just renaming the .NK2 so it matches the outlook profile name eg. if your outlook profile name is "zimbra" rename the file to zimbra.NK2 and dump in the directory mentioned before. So if you have a user that would have similar names in there NK2 file this may get them started (better then a blank file)

Paul

alee is offline Former Zimbran

Quote Originally Posted by paul123 View Post
    If it is not there you may have a problem with the Outlook profile. Best bet is to remake the profile and see if that works. Unless you can restore the file from a backup I would say it has been lost.

FYI, you can load other users .NK2 files into the profile by just renaming the .NK2 so it matches the outlook profile name eg. if your outlook profile name is "zimbra" rename the file to zimbra.NK2 and dump in the directory mentioned before. So if you have a user that would have similar names in there NK2 file this may get them started (better then a blank file)

Paul
    ZCO creates 2 files per profile. one is the .zdb file and this is similar to the .pst file that Outlook creates. there is also an .idm file which contains some information the ZCO uses. If you delete the .zdb and .idm file for a particular profile, the next time that you launch Outlook will result in an initial sync again. depending on the size of your mailbox, this could take a while but you are back to a clean state.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information