Thread: Changes with ZCO 7.2.x in regards to Sync behavior

ajcody is offline Zimbra Employee

Default Changes with ZCO 7.2.x in regards to Sync behavior

With ZCO 7.2 , ZCO now respects the Outlook profile configuration about sync time. Please see :

"ZCO not automatically sync'ing - have to manually sync"
    Bug 73440 – ZCO not automatically sync'ing - have to manually sync

Comment 5 from that bug states:

OL2010: Send/Receive ribbon -> Send/Receive Groups drop list -> Define Send/Receive Groups -> "Schedule an automatic send/Receive every"
    OL2003+2007: On main toolbar Send/Receive drop list -> Send/Receive Settings-> Define Send/Receive Groups -> "Schedule an automatic send/Receive every"

A future change or option might also be available with the work behind this RFE:

"SNDRCV: ZCO sync should be governed by waitsets rather than polling"
    Bug 61155 – SNDRCV: ZCO sync should be governed by waitsets rather than polling

MACscr is offline Special Member

Why was this "feature" of respecting outlooks interval ever implemented? Obviously admins, which is what zimbra is told to, not users, want to be able to control the syncing intervals. Not only did this "feature" add a lot of headaches to my day and a lot of unhappy customs (outlook 2010's default sync is 30 minutes), but this "feature" was not documented in the release notes at all.

I think i need to buy some vmware stock just so i can show up at a shareholders meet to voice my opinion on how poorly this product is managed to its executives.

GreenGumby is offline Senior Member

So is comment 35 from that bug still happening? Is there still going to be a release this week to revert or give an option that can be set in the registry?

From an admin perspective this has been a headache. As far as I'm aware there are no GPO options to set sync intervals.

dcomdude is offline Starter Member

Default What In the World Were You Thinking!?

I'm new to Zimbra, but this change seems insane!

The Send/Receive polling interval was primarily intended for accessing POP mailboxes across a slow connection. Zimbra aims to be the primary mail platform for small, medium, or whatever, sized-businesses. (E.g. the alternative of Exchange -- which, btw, has instantaneous sync!)

Why in the world would you make a change that under the default configuration of Outlook would be to NOT EVER synchronize automatically!

Unbelievable!

rquinn is offline Junior Member

Why was this not in the release notes? I read the release notes before upgrading specifically to find out what I can expect after upgrading, and changing the time interval between syncs counts as something I would expect to know before upgrading. I'm going to echo that we admins need some sort of control over this, especially if Zimbra is just going to release changes and not tell anyone. This is not cool. Not cool at all.

dik23 is offline Advanced Member

Is this still true in the latest 7.2.x releases? It's one of the reasons why we're still on 7.1.4.

GreenGumby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dik23 View Post
    Is this still true in the latest 7.2.x releases? It's one of the reasons why we're still on 7.1.4.
    They released a patched version of that connector. It is in the beta downloads section in the support portal. Future versions of the connector were improved again and only sync on change, so you should look at moving to those versions.

Thread Information