Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Outlook 2007

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

IMHO, I don't know why any IT mgr would upgrade all their users once a new MS product comes out.

Anyone remember slammer? Code Red?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

In any case, maintenance is a virtue. It's comin!

-john

jhoelz is offline Special Member

An IT manager maybe not, but an IT company that's business is to help their client base evaluate software and make recomendations as well as train - for sure.

I hope it's done by Thursday so I can present it at a conference

Kirkaiya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    IMHO, I don't know why any IT mgr would upgrade all their users once a new MS product comes out.

-john
    Some I.T. managers fly into Hong Kong for a 2-week project, and their laptop gets stolen, so they are forced to buy a new one on the spot, and every single high-end laptop comes with Windows Vista Business, and a trial-copy of Office 2007 (which aforementioned I.T. manager has no choice but to use until he can get back home where all his installation DVDs are for Office 2003).

And worst of all, by the end of two weeks, with my MSDN copies of Visual Studio 2005, SQL Server 2005, client files, backup stuff from my 2-GB thumb-drive, etc, all loaded on it, I'm probably not going to do what I first intended (ie., put Windows XP SP2 on it).

Which means I'm forced to sync to Zimbra using IMAP, which completely sucks compared to using ZCO. No contacts, no calendar - luckily the web-interface is crackerjack, because I'm keeping it open at all times.

I really REALLY hope you guys manage to come up with a ZCO installer that works on Vista. I can't even use it with Outlook 2003, since the installer bombs out half-way thru with a "Installation was interrupted" message. I had no intention of going with "Vista Business" for at least another year, but it was sort of forced on me by fate.

Even a flaky beta would be fine, to be honest. :-(

[Added note: I just tried out the latest connector (4.5.3) on my spare notebook at home, which has Win XP SP2 and Outlook 2007, and the connector installed fine, and performed initial sync off all items correctly, and seems to be working fine - so is the issue just the *installer* not working on Vista due to the "least priveleged access" setup?]
    Last edited by Kirkaiya; 03-17-2007 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Added note about Outlook 2007 on WinXP SP2

yogel is offline Member

Hi,

For the record, we are relatively succesfully using Outlook 2007 with Zimbra. Some known caveats:

• You need to re-register the Zimbra connector. This can be done either by reinstalling the Zimbra Connector (sometimes this does not work) or by running C:\windows\system32\regsvr32.exe C:\windows\system32\LSMSSP32.dll
    • BCC does not work from Outlook

Other than that we haven't noticed anything major in the last three weeks. We are not running Vista.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Kirkaiya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogel View Post
    • You need to re-register the Zimbra connector. This can be done either by reinstalling the Zimbra Connector (sometimes this does not work) or by running C:\windows\system32\regsvr32.exe C:\windows\system32\LSMSSP32.dll
    • BCC does not work from Outlook
    Hey, a big THANK YOU Andrew!

On Windows Vista Business, I was able to get the Outlook Connector (v4.5.3) working with Outlook 2007 by:

(1) Turning off User Access Control (Control Panel -> User Accounts)

(2) Running the ZCO installer

(3) Re-enabling user-access control (may not be necessary for people who aren't using that feature of Vista)

(4) Following your step above, and re-registering the DLL.

And voila! I started Outlook, chose the new "Zimbra" profile, and it sync'd :-) Thank you very much for posting the work-around.

So that means it works, it's the installer thats holding things up. THis will be great for me, I'll give it a go. For my users it will need to work as any other install however.

Just out of curiosity, are there plans to get this working with Business Contact Manager? This is, IMHO, the most powerful piece of software Microsoft has integrated into Outlook EVER for their small business customers. It does an excellent job of tracking opportunities and projects, integrates with the free Office Account Express and is overall a great tool for taking care of your small business.

I think it would be invaluable to have Zimbra connect with Business Contact Manager in some way.

spot is offline Intermediate Member

anyone knows if 4.5.4 works together with outlook 2007 now?

You still need to take the steps above.

oliware is offline Active Member

Unhappy

I have vista ultimate & outlook 2003.

After disabling that user option (and rebooting), I installed the connector ZimbraOlkConnector-4.5.0_GA_611_4.5.115
    Then I registered the dll manually, but still the option in "extra servertypes" is not appearing.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by oliware View Post
    I have vista ultimate & outlook 2003.

After disabling that user option (and rebooting), I installed the connector ZimbraOlkConnector-4.5.0_GA_611_4.5.115
    Then I registered the dll manually, but still the option in "extra servertypes" is not appearing.
    I don't really know why you've posted this in a thread about Outlook 2007.

I'd suggest you upgrade to the latest release of Zimbra and Outlook Connector, recreate your profile and see if the problem still exists.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information