Thread: How does one check ZCO License usage?

warmbowski is offline Active Member

Default How does one check ZCO License usage?

I have 50 Network Licenses, but only 25 of them support the Zimbra Outlook Connector. What I am having trouble with is finding out the status of how many of those licenses are used. Is there a cli command that will show me the number of ZCO licenses in use?

Also, What constitutes using a ZCO license? Does syncing USERA once mean that the account associated with USERA will have a ZCO license associated with it forever? If I uninstall the connector on USERA, will I somehow be able to have it put back into the pool of 25 licenses?

THanks for any info.

ewilen is offline Moderator

This may help: how to know how many user are using now the connector ?

I seem to recall seeing entries for the license check in one of the logs, possibly /opt/zimbra/log/audit.log. You might want to look at that and see if the # of licenses decreases if you just stop using ZCO with a given account for a certain length of time.

Thanks for the reply. I think you are correct that the audit.log is the place to check. When I do a quick
    Code:
    cat /opt/zimbra/log/audit.log.* | grep mapi
    I get a nice list of all of the times the ZCO connectors checked in with a CheckLicense command like this:
    Code:
    2011-08-22 07:45:24,086 INFO  [btpool0-671://mail.mydomain.com/service/soap/CheckLicenseRequest] [name=user@mydomain.com;mid=27;ip=192.168.0.176;ua=ZimbraConnectorForOutlook/6.0.6089.9;] security - cmd=CheckLicense; acctId=cef7663b-324c-4b2f-b1c4-4950ef336b90; feature=mapi;
    I can parse the many entries down to 10 unique users. So I think I can safely assume I am quite under my 25 licenses.

My only reservation is that this is a list of active ZCO users, and I have no confidence that it would reflect how many licenses have been used between active ZCO users and inactive ZCO users (maybe users who switched back to imap), and whether unused licenses are put back into the pool of available ZCO licenses.

ewilen is offline Moderator

Yes, on a guess I'd say that Zimbra is probably smart enough to use some sort of "rough concurrency" algorithm based on # of accounts that check-in via ZCO within a given time period. But I'm an optimist.

Might be a good idea to ask your sales rep, or to open a support case. If you do, please let us know how it turns out.

Well, the answer that I got from support was to upgrade from the 6.0 to 7.1, because the 7.1 version has a CoS/mailbox setting to turn on/off the ZCO syncing. So this would be a fine-grained way to control ZCO licensing and select exactly what mailboxes can sync with ZCO.

They also said that if you have 25 licenses and you let one more mailbox sync, that 26th mailbox will fail to sync but the others will continue to sync.

I think that this is a fair enough answer for my concerns, as I will be upgrading by the end of the year for sure, and don't have any pressing license issues.

Thread Information