Thread: sharing in Outlook..auto add "public shares" in outlook

tbovingdon is offline Special Member

Question sharing in Outlook..auto add "public shares" in outlook

Hi Guys we are starting to get a lot more zimbra installs at our customers and we are getting questions about the sharing system.

2 questions:

1. It doesn't seem to allow for distribution lists as a way to share a folder with multiple people at once... is this correct.. is there a work around.. is there a feature request that anyone knows about...

2. The outlook "zimbra connector" toolbar doesn't stay active on close of outlook and doesnt seem to auto add shares to a users account.. so far our installs are under 25 so we have done the "file --> add other users mailbox" manually each time.... this seems... cumbersome with everything else zimbra does so well....

any thoughts what we are doing...wrong or right would be appreciated

fsiegel is offline Zimbra Employee

1. It doesn't allow distribution lists. It's adding a secondary service for the actual user, not the distribution list. I don't believe anybody has mentioned this in the past.

2. The Zimbra Connector toolbar is really only for detecting sharing links from the web client. If you added shares with Outlook, it probably wouldn't even pick it up. You would have to be doing File->Open Other User's Mailbox every time.

That being said, do you have to close the other user's mailbox every time? When you do Open Other User's Mailbox, you are doing a full sync of whatever folders they have shared with you. If you just leave them open, you will only get delta syncs, and you won't have to go through Open Other User's Mailbox again.

1. i am not sure what you mean...
    I guess i was thinking we could use DL like groups in AD to share items with.(rather than type in all the users addresses)
    2. so really the outlook sharing is kinda gimped, the tool bar only works when and item is shared from the web and only when the "sharee' (person getting access to the share) actually opens and closes outlook? It does not work when the item is shared from outlook what so ever? is that ever going to change?

Well, you shouldn't have to type in users' addresses if they're in the GAL -- you just select as many as you want from the GAL.

As for #2, yes that will change. (bug 44151, among others).

But why do you need to keep opening and closing other users' mailboxes?

1. there is no quick select you have to type in the addresses.. unless i am missing something.

we arent opening and closing.. its a one time thing.

So your users aren't in the Global Address List? Do you have some external source for your user addresses?

And if you're not opening and closing, why would there be an issue? Once you do Open Other User's mailbox once, any subsequent time you open Outlook, you would see those shares.

yes the are in the GAL. BUT in the share window there is only a txt box to type in.. so we have to type in each user (the left of @)

the share WAS NOT showing up in outlook UNTIL we did the "open other users mailbox" we were trying to make it... seamless to users..

If the users are in the GAL, you shouldn't have to type users in. When you do Open Other User's Mailbox, the Select Mailbox dialog comes up. In the Address Book dropdown, you select Global Address List, and all the users come up. You select the users you want.

What am I missing here? Perhaps you could provide a screenshot.

And I assume you shared the users originally by right clicking on the the folder, then choosing Properties, then the Sharing tab.

Yes on the sharee side that is right...

i am talking on the sharing side... we shared from the web is that the problem? if we had shared from the outlook side we could have selected multiple users? (i can't test this atm)

yes -- if you share from the Outlook side, you can select multiple users

Thread Information