Thread: Version for Outlook 2010 (64 bit)

Aelorean is offline New Member

Default Version for Outlook 2010 (64 bit)

I saw an older thread with regard to this question, and it linked to a list of bug reports at http://tinyurl.com/zimbugs. In viewing that list, it appears as though the issue of the zimbra outlook connector working with office 2010 64-bit seems to have been fixed.

However, I cannot find a download for this addon anywhere. My institution is currently on server version 6.0.7_GA_2476.RHEL4. And, they've installed 64-bit versions of Office on all the workstations, so I'm stuck with it.

Anyway, all I need is the Zimbra Connector for Outlook 2010 64-bit that works with the server version I mentioned above. Perhaps someone has one offered by their business/institution?

Otherwise, is there source somewhere that I could compile to make it 64-bit compatible?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Aelorean View Post
    I saw an older thread with regard to this question, and it linked to a list of bug reports at http://tinyurl.com/zimbugs. In viewing that list, it appears as though the issue of the zimbra outlook connector working with office 2010 64-bit seems to have been fixed.

However, I cannot find a download for this addon anywhere. My institution is currently on server version 6.0.7_GA_2476.RHEL4. And, they've installed 64-bit versions of Office on all the workstations, so I'm stuck with it.

Anyway, all I need is the Zimbra Connector for Outlook 2010 64-bit that works with the server version I mentioned above. Perhaps someone has one offered by their business/institution?
    It's not available yet. Just because a bug/RFE has been marked a 'fixed' doesn't mean it's available, it will have to go through QA and then be targeted at a particular release of Zimbra. You should check the list of bug reports you mention above against the Product Portal and see which release it will be available and for which version it's targeted.

Otherwise, is there source somewhere that I could compile to make it 64-bit compatible?
    No, that part of Zimbra is proprietary.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

So, if the zimbra connector for outlook (64 bit) is released only with the next version of the zimbra suite, then I'm out-of-luck if my institution is slow to upgrade their server version? Or, will it most likely still work as an addon with the server version that my institution is using?

It's very frustrating that someone couldn't take a few minutes to add the 64-bit version of the outlook connector that is already working with Outlook 2010. Having to use outlook+imap for email at work, when I can use the awesome zimbra connector+outlook at home is very disheartening and painful.

Another question: is the Zimbra connector for outlook only available from within the purchased Zimbra Suite? The reason I'm asking is because I don't see a download link anywhere at Zimbra Product Management Portal or anywhere else on the site.

Is this an issue that's simply not fixable by an end-user? Does Zimbra not interact with end users? (i.e., if you're not the one installing/maintaining the overall server version then there's nothing that can be done here?)

Another question: is the Zimbra connector for outlook only available from within the purchased Zimbra Suite? The reason I'm asking is because I don't see a download link anywhere at Zimbra Product Management Portal or anywhere else on the site.
    That's correct, it is available for download from your own mail server if the Administrator has given you the details.

Is this an issue that's simply not fixable by an end-user?
    That's also correct.

Does Zimbra not interact with end users?
    Isn't 'interaction' what you're getting here? You will get the necessary help that we can provide to help you fix problems that you, as an end user, can fix. Don't forget that these are Community supported forums and posting here is voluntary for all members of the forums.

(i.e., if you're not the one installing/maintaining the overall server version then there's nothing that can be done here?)
    In this particular case, that's true - your support for this should come directly from your mail Administrator and whatever services they provide.
    Regards

Bill

In this particular case, that's true - your support for this should come directly from your mail Administrator and whatever services they provide.
    Well, the biggest problem with this statement is that the IT Department where I work is trying to FORCE everyone to use the zimbra "webmail" interface. In fact, they're going so far as to install MS Office with everything installed except Outlook.

As of right now they are still offering the Zimbra Connector for Outlook for download, although that will most likely change in the future. And, I don't care how good ANY web-based email client is written, it's always going to be sub-par compared to a client application, whether that be Outlook or whatever your favorite client might be. (Heck, I'd even use the Zimbra desktop client or the web-based solution ....if they'd support it here...)

Is there a mechanism by way I could submit a request that the outlook connector for zimbra be offered separately in the same way that the blackberry connector is currently made available?

Well, the biggest problem with this statement is that the IT Department where I work is trying to FORCE everyone to use the zimbra "webmail" interface. In fact, they're going so far as to install MS Office with everything installed except Outlook.
    I sympathise but unfortunately I don't have any influence on your IT department.

Is there a mechanism by way I could submit a request that the outlook connector for zimbra be offered separately in the same way that the blackberry connector is currently made available?
    I don't think it's likely to happen because there are different versions that only work with certain versions (or higher) of the Zimbra server, that might cause support problems and Zimbra support services do not provide direct support for end-users. You are, however, welcome to file an RFE in the bugzilla system and see what the outcome is.
    Regards

Bill

MACscr is offline Special Member

Office 2010 is now being shipped with Dell's, so I direly need support for outlook 2010 ASAP. When should we expect an update?

Thread Information