Thread: User wants a different "From" Address

jfmoore is offline Active Member

Default User wants a different "From" Address

We are running the latest Zimbra server and clients.

I have a user that will be using Outlook 2007 and they will have an email address of user@domain1.com which will be managed by the Zimbra server.

But when they send a message, they want their email address FROM field to recipients to read user@domain2.com.

We know that we cannot set this in Outlook. Do we set this using the Canonical address field on the server?

fsiegel is offline Zimbra Employee

You can do this from Outlook with Zimbra personas. Tools->Options. Personas tab. Add a persona, and set the From address as you wish. You could also do this from the web client.

Quote Originally Posted by fsiegel View Post
    You can do this from Outlook with Zimbra personas. Tools->Options. Personas tab. Add a persona, and set the From address as you wish. You could also do this from the web client.
    So every time somebody wants to send from a different email address (which is always in my cases) they have to remember to click that Account button and then select the alternate address? So Personas is not really a pure replacement for the Canonical address then, right?

If you want to use that persona every time, you can set that persona as the default (Tools->Account Settings, choose the persona and set as default). Then you don't have to remember to click the account button.

If you want to use that persona every time, you can set that persona as the default (Tools->Account Settings, choose the persona and set as default). Then you don't have to remember to click the account button.
    Thank you. I hope that you don't mind but I'd like to explain what we are doing and maybe you can see what I am doing wrong:

Step 1 (setup email account normally in Zimbra):
    Primary email id (main id on the Zimbra server): user@domain1.com
    No Canonical address set (obviously)

Step 2 (setup WebUI with reply to information):
    WebMail UI: Preferences-->Mail-->Accounts
    Primary Account is setup properly with main email id.
    In the section that says "Messages sent from this account have the following settings: we have filled in the From section to be user@domain2.com
    In the section that says "Reply To" we have checked the checkbox and set the Reply to address to be user@domain2.com

Step 3 (setup Outlook to use Personas):
    In Outlook 2003/2007 for to Tools, Options, Personas
    Select the Default Account Name
    Under Persona Settings - DEFAULT
    In the From field, the person's name, the pulldown is greyed out
    In the Reply To field, check the box and enter in the person's name and then the user@domain2.com address.

If you've already set the persona up on the web client (your step 2), then you don't have to do anything in Outlook. Outlook will just sync the persona down. If you did want to set it up in Outlook, you wouldn't really want to use the DEFAULT one. You could set up another one, and make that the default. The behavior of the dialog boxes is based on the sending mail preferences (allow sending email from any address, etc.)

If you've already set the persona up on the web client (your step 2), then you don't have to do anything in Outlook. Outlook will just sync the persona down. If you did want to set it up in Outlook, you wouldn't really want to use the DEFAULT one. You could set up another one, and make that the default. The behavior of the dialog boxes is based on the sending mail preferences (allow sending email from any address, etc.)
    I guess the challenge comes down to making a new persona and then making it the new DEFAULT. I have not been able to get that to work yet but I will keep trying.

You should still be able to just change the From address in your default persona, and have this work. In the Web client: Preferences, Accounts, and change the From. In ZCO: Tools->Options, Personas tab, and change the From.

The thing with Outlook is, since a Persona is another account, you have to exit Outlook and re-enter for the change to take effect.

Let me know if this works for you.

You should still be able to just change the From address in your default persona, and have this work. In the Web client: Preferences, Accounts, and change the From. In ZCO: Tools->Options, Personas tab, and change the From.

The thing with Outlook is, since a Persona is another account, you have to exit Outlook and re-enter for the change to take effect.

Let me know if this works for you.
    Thanks for the additional details. I am going to setup a test client and try this out.

Thread Information