Thread: compress data folder?

jimm is offline Intermediate Member

Default compress data folder?

Hello all, we have recently made the jump from M$ Exchange to Zimbra (6.08). Our outlook users are occasionally getting prompted to compress the data file to save disk space. Does anyone know what this does? i.e. does it compress the local data folder, or the server side iteration? Either way, has anyone noticed a performance degradation after compressing? Our HD's are plenty large enough and our users don't store much locally so i don't see the need to compress them, but i have people asking me and it would be good to know. Thanks in advance for any answers or directions to find answers.

-Jim

fsiegel is offline Zimbra Employee

We'll automatically prompt you to compact when we see a reduction of a certain percentage in the number of messages, etc. We'll actually call the same code as when in the Exchange world, you say File->Data Management->Settings->Compact Now.

.zdb files keep growing, even when you delete things. As far as you're concerned the messages are gone, but the space is never reclaimed. You will notice that even if you delete and empty trash, .zdb files keep growing. Outlook will perform much better if you periodically compact the file. It can take awhile on a big file (maybe 20 minutes). So as far as your question about performance degradation after compacting, I would think it is the other way around -- performance will degrade if you don't.

Another alternative, of course, is to create a new profile and initial sync. You will notice that if you do that, even though you would have the same messages in the new .zdb it would be a lot smaller.

There are many postings in the web about data compaction in Outlook. [You can search for Outlook, Data Management Settings, Compact, etc.] That can give you some more info.

jimm is offline Intermediate Member

Thank you so much for that awesome explanation. Can i ask a few more questions?

Will the prompts only occur for Outlook users? We have people using Zimbra desktop, web mail, and apple mail. Should these folks expect to be prompted? If not is there a way to manually compact the DB? Thanks!

Thread Information