Thread: Zimbra Outlook Connecter with Zimbra Open Source Edition

RizKhan is offline Intermediate Member

Exclamation Zimbra Outlook Connecter with Zimbra Open Source Edition

Hello everyone,

I am new to Zimbra, I would like to ask that can we use Zimbra Outlook Connecter with Open Source edition of ZCS?

Also which linux do you suggest for single server environment with ZCS open source edition?

Regards
    RizKhan

araucano is offline New Member

I'm running the ZCS Open Souce edition on openSUSE Linux 11.1. Although openSUSE Linux Enterprise is recommended, we forced the installation on our version and it runs without hick-ups. We will be testing the commercial Zimbra Network edition ona testing environment with the same Linux version once we are sure ZCS has been accepted by all our users.

As you need to run Apache with it, you may encountered some conflicgt on port 80. Apache always "listens" to that port. To avoid the conflict we have setup the ZCS to listen to port 81 instead. So far that workaround has caused no issues. We believe that by using a second IP-address (one for Apache and a separate one for ZCS) you may not have to change the default port to 81. However we cannot and will not guarantee it works as we haven't tested it yet. So this comes with no liability on our part.

As far as Outlook Connector is concerned: we do not use it. We have used the PST Import Wizzard to import the relevant PST files from Outlook to the respective Zimbra-accounts. Some large e-mails have not been imported but that was just a few due to the large attachments. We saved those attachments separately where necessary (documents) and that's it. Since then we have discontinued using Outlook and use Zimbra Desktop (both Windows and Linux versions) instead.

Cheers and good luck!

araucano
    Last edited by araucano; 07-29-2010 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Missing answer

Exclamation

Hi araucano

thanks for your reply. I am planning to install Zimbra Open Source Edition on Ubuntu 8.04. I am downloading the Ubuntu iso image and will start installation once I am done with downloading.

As this will be the first time that I will be installing Zimbra so I want to run it under test environment first and once I am successful to make the users happy and comfortable with it then will upgrade to Network Edition.

But our users are addicted to Microsoft Outlook.. :-P.. that is why I just wanted to know that if MS OUTLOOK CONNECTOR will work with Zimbra Open Source edition or not.

I really appriciate your comments about it or if you think that there are some tweaks which can really help me in installing Zimbra on Ubuntu.

Best Regards
    RizKhan

araucano is offline New Member

Hi RizKhan,

I admit not being really able to opine on Ubuntu, but I guess you will face similar challenges. As far as Outlook Connector is concerned I cannot opine at all. Sorry about that.

With my users I simply have installed ZD alongside Outlook and even those "addicted" to Outlook have gradually started to use ZD replacing their previous addiction ;-)

Cheers,

araucano

Hi araucano

Thanks for your quick reply and I know that one doing something new must be facing some challanges.. :-)

I will let you know how it works or not. Am installing ubuntu on vmware.. Can you tell me that where to download MS outlook connector because its no where available on zimbra's website. does it come including in the server software?

Thanks

RizKhan

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RizKhan View Post
    I will let you know how it works or not. Am installing ubuntu on vmware.. Can you tell me that where to download MS outlook connector because its no where available on zimbra's website. does it come including in the server software?
    The Outlook Connector is only available with the Network Edition of Zimbra and you'll find the download on your server when you install NE. If you are installing NE then I'd suggest you read the Installation and Administration documentation first (link to the documentation is at the top of this page).I
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Cris is offline Starter Member

Hi sir phoenix, is there any way to sync MS outlook with webmail? or we can still use MS outlook for basic tasks only

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    Hi sir phoenix, is there any way to sync MS outlook with webmail? or we can still use MS outlook for basic tasks only
    I thought this question had been answered in this thread? Why don't you use Zimbra Desktop?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information