Thread: Support for Mail Merge?

derek.rose is offline Intermediate Member

Default Support for Mail Merge?

We are using ZimbraOlkConnector-6.0.5_GA_2213_6.0.5846.5 and 6.0.5 of the server as well, client has Outlook 2007.

They are trying to do a mail merge, and pretty often, for example, start around 9 for about 70 messages, and at 10 or so there are still 5 remaining. They eventually send, but it seems to take way longer than it should. This happens I think on two different machines.

I searched for Mail Merging and didn't find much with regards to bugs I don't believe - but just wondering what support there is for this, if any.

If logging is needed from the machine, please let me know how to turn it on and where it is located on the PC. TIA

dcb
    dcb is offline Intermediate Member

Hi

Can you give me a bit more detail on exactly how you are doing the mail merge?

Thanks

jmcmahon is offline Junior Member

Our client is using an Excel spreadsheet with the mailing addresses. This goes to the Word document which generates the messages to be sent.

There are about 120 total messages getting sent each morning at 7:15 a.m. Outlook is open during the entire process.

The problem is that a few of the messages get stuck in Outlook. Our client wishes to know if this can be speeded up.

Is there something in particular that we should be looking out for in this situation that might cause this?

dbeery is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmcmahon View Post
    Our client is using an Excel spreadsheet with the mailing addresses. This goes to the Word document which generates the messages to be sent.

There are about 120 total messages getting sent each morning at 7:15 a.m. Outlook is open during the entire process.

The problem is that a few of the messages get stuck in Outlook. Our client wishes to know if this can be speeded up.

Is there something in particular that we should be looking out for in this situation that might cause this?
    One thing that might speed up the process is to us VBA to turn off screen refreshes in Excel, Word and Outlook during the script run. You might need to use late binding. This has give me anywhere from a 10% to a 80% performance increase depending on what exactly is being performed. In one extreme case with a 40 excel workbook merge, turning off screen updates reduced a 6 hour process down to an avg of 40 minutes. If possible, tell Outlook to go offline while the mail merge is running and then go online and deliver the messages. It could possibly help with the stuck messages if Outlook gets slowed down with the creation of new messages. Then again, it could not help. It's worth a try.

To turn off the screen updates use:
    Application.ScreenUpdating = FALSE

Then to turn it back on use:
    Application.ScreenUpdating = TRUE

David

Thread Information