Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Server Failure Notice

fselendic is offline Loyal Member

Here's the funny thing; we are hosting two companies on that problematic server, both cca 40 employees. Most have Outlook (2003 or 2007)

On another server, set up just a week before, we are hosting another company, cca 120 employees, with about 40 Outlook connectors.

That one has virtually no problems whatsoever. And it is 6.0.3. Problematic one is 6.0.4.

However, guys that have no problems are all in one place, with 20 MB link.

Problematic companies have employees scattered around in several countries. From what I can see, I think that some of them have subpar connections.

Some questions about the bug you've posted...I don't think that we are experiencing CPU spikes mentioned there, but we do get those file upload errors.

Please, can you ask someone what's the difference between one ending with "null", and one ending with "timeout"?

"null" we get if EOF, if connection breaks during upload? And "timeout" if more than 60 seconds passes?

fsiegel is offline Zimbra Employee

As far as the tons of error messages, I have a feeling you have run into bugs 43432 and 43433. The problem was introduced in 6.0.4, and has been fixed in 6.0.5, and in a patch release of 6.0.4, which is out on our support portal. Your 6.0.4 is probably 6.0.5797.4, and the patch release is 6.0.5817.4.

I suggest that the affected ZCO 6.0.4 users users get that 6.0.4+ release, and see if the problem goes away. It is certainly worth a try. I'm not sure if it will solve the server error, but it would quit flooding your mailbox with errors, and not overload your cpu.

As far as the null vs. timeout, I believe your assessment is correct.

Well, we did start with asking people to install patched version, that certainly solves NO_MSG flood in logs on server side.

Also I started spreading that patched connector modified with 15 minutes timeouts around, and hope that will solve most of our troubles.

However, I think that you may have another issue, not sure yet does it happen with patched zco or not...

From time to time we see:

SoapEngine - handler exception
    com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailServiceException: cannot modify immutable object: 3602
    ExceptionId:btpool0-8100://mail.mtv.rs/service/soap/SaveDraftRequest:1264719600485:1a8588c09810e193
    Code:mail.IMMUTABLE_OBJECT ArgitemId, IID, "3602")
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.MailServiceException.IMMUTAB LE_OBJECT(MailServiceException.java:379)

and I think that one on server is closely related with local failure notices on client (not 100% sure yet, because we told people to switch them off)

Something with Drafts folder goes wrong. We do have anecdotal evidence that some items just disappear from Draft folder.

Happens to both companies, cca 10 people got it so far.

The IMMUTAB LE_OBJECT drafts folder issue could be a server issue. Keep me posted on that -- if you can come up with repro steps, that would be great.

FWIW, even if you turn off Errors to Inbox for local failures, they will still appear under the Sync Issues folder in Outlook, so you should be able to seem them if they occur.

OK, think I got it.

Did a remote support for one customer with problems.
    Outlook 2007 SP1, running on Vista.

First I removed connector (was using patched 6.0.4), then installed the same version, but with 15 min timeouts.

Had his Outlook and webmail opened at the same time. In webmail, there was lots of messages that weren't synced down to Outlook, and also practically every message was shown as not read (bold), although they were read in Outlook.

Anyway, the second I started Outlook with new timeouts, without touching anything, Server Failure notices started to flood in. ZCO was at the same time syncing something big, cca 100 MB. What I could notice is that there were 3 messages in Webmail Drafts folder, and not a single one in Outlook.

When ZCO finished that 100 MB snyc, Webmail lost those 3 Draft messages, and all unsynced messages were delivered to Outlook, and read-not read state of messages in Outlook and Webmail got in sync.

During that time, on serverside, there is a flood of IMMUTABLE_OBJECT messages at com.zimbra.cs.mailbox.Mailbox.saveDraft(....

After everything cooled down, there weren't any Local Failure Notices anymore. And nothing on server for that customer by the end of the day. I also upgraded to SP2 after it stabilized.

I've managed to get logs and lfn's, but those are under NDA, please advise how can I send you directly.

ashrocks is offline Active Member

I have the similar error posted in this forum. My error found from the logs when i send the attachment is pasted below.

If you can suggest me where to increase the timeout may be that would help me too.

But my problem is little different. I can send any attachments of any size outside my firewall. The firewall to my surprise is not blocking the ports i'm sending from. I want to try to increase the zimbra timeouts first and then see if the problem is only with the firewall. BTW i'm using Pfsense 1.2.3RC and zimbra's latest version on a Debian5 Lenny.

Here is the error log i got when sending email with attachment more than 5kB. its timeout error though.

2010-12-29 16:17:40,436 INFO [btpool0-13://post.xxxxx.com/service/upload?fmt=extended] [name=am@xxxxxx.com;mid=72;ip=10.10.0.173;ua=Mozill a/5.0 (Windows;; U;; Windows NT 5.2;; en-US;; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20101130 Firefox/3.5.16 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729);] FileUploadServlet - File upload failed
    org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase$IOFil eUploadException: Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. timeout
    at org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.parse Request(FileUploadBase.java:367)
    at org.apache.commons.fileupload.servlet.ServletFileU pload.parseRequest(ServletFileUpload.java:126)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.FileUploadServlet.handleMult ipartUpload(FileUploadServlet.java:430)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.FileUploadServlet.doPost(Fil eUploadServlet.java:412)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:727)
    at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(Zimbra Servlet.java:181)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:820)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(Ser vletHolder.java:511)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1166)
    at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.SetHeaderFilter.doFilter(Set HeaderFilter.java:79)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157)
    at org.mortbay.servlet.UserAgentFilter.doFilter(UserA gentFilter.java:81)
    at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter .java:132)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedCha in.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(Se rvletHandler.java:388)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle( SecurityHandler.java:218)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(Se ssionHandler.java:182)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(Co ntextHandler.java:765)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebA ppContext.java:418)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection .handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle (HandlerCollection.java:114)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:152)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.rewrite.RewriteHandler.h andle(RewriteHandler.java:230)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.DebugHandler.handle(Debu gHandler.java:77)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:326)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(Htt pConnection.java:543)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.co ntent(HttpConnection.java:939)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser. java:755)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpPa rser.java:218)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnec tion.java:405)
    at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(Selec tChannelEndPoint.java:413)
    at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.ru n(BoundedThreadPool.java:451)
    Caused by: org.mortbay.jetty.EofException: timeout
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser$Input.blockForContent (HttpParser.java:1172)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser$Input.read(HttpParser .java:1122)
    at org.apache.commons.fileupload.MultipartStream$Item InputStream.makeAvailable(MultipartStream.java:977 )
    at org.apache.commons.fileupload.MultipartStream$Item InputStream.read(MultipartStream.java:887)
    at java.io.InputStream.read(InputStream.java:85)
    at org.apache.commons.fileupload.util.Streams.copy(St reams.java:94)
    at org.apache.commons.fileupload.util.Streams.copy(St reams.java:64)
    at org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase.parse Request(FileUploadBase.java:362)
    ... 33 more

Assuming you're running version 6.0.x, you can change the timeouts from the Advanced Support Bar in ZCO. Not sure what version of Outlook or ZCO you are using. With Outlook 2007, right click on the blue area near the top right, and select Zimbra Support. Then hit the Advanced button. You can change the timeouts from there. Otherwise, you have to go directly into the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zimbra\Connection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information