Thread: What does Zimbra Outlook Connector actually do? Free alternative to community ed?

jang430 is offline New Member

Default What does Zimbra Outlook Connector actually do? Free alternative to community ed?

Hello there. What does Outlook Connector actually do? Can't find any document about it.

Does it mean if I don't have connector, I won't be able to access mail via outlook?

We can't afford the network version. We liked the features of Zimbra so much that we have started setting up the community edition. Is there any open source connector to outlook?

Thanks.

gnyce is offline Advanced Member

It is a MAPI plugin that allows you to add Zimbra services as a MAPI Profile to load your Zimbra mail, calendar, and contacts into Outlook. Also enables shared folders, etc... in other words, makes Outlook a full-fledged client.

Dunno about any open-source connector... doubt anything else would work, as whatever connector needs to know how to talk to Zimbra.

You can always just use Outlook as a POP/IMAP mail client, but you dont' get contacts/calendar that way.

Why not give Zimbra Desktop a try? While not quite an Outlook replacement, it _does_ mirror the webclient that people already use, little to know learning curve, and is portable (e.g. syncs your mailbox and thus can be used offline)

void is offline Active Member

Agreed.

I have set up many offices that did not like the pricetag on Zimbra Network Edition (the one with the outlook connector) and instead showed them Zimbra Desktop.

It is the free client, it works great, and it does everything Outlook can do for collaboration with a few exceptions (like easily saving email to a text file).

If you are looking to replace outlook, you don't truly need the $$$ version.

Warning: If they have portable devices like blackberry or iPhone and they want to sync their calendars and contacts to that... then you will want the $$$ version of Zimbra server so you can tell that portable device that Zimbra is an Exchange server. Then you'll get calendars, contacts, etc to your phone too.

I ran in to that little caveat and found it to be a big issue for my client. They got over though.
    Using:
    zcs-7.1.4_GA_2555.RHEL6_64.20120105094542

On:
    CentOS 6.1
    Dual Xeon.Dell SC1425

void, gnyce,

Thanks for your inputs. I think we have no choice but to try the desktop. As for BB, I am using one. Although syncing calendar and contacts will be great, but since we don't have budget, does it at least allow the email to get to my blackberry?

I mean, can you configure bb to receive emails if you're using Zimbra Community Edition?

void is offline Active Member

I believe that the folks with the Blackberries I installed the Community Edition for are using them as simple POP/IMAP clients and they work fine. They don't get calendars or contacts, but email works fine.
    Using:
    zcs-7.1.4_GA_2555.RHEL6_64.20120105094542

On:
    CentOS 6.1
    Dual Xeon.Dell SC1425

void, thanks for the info. That helps a lot.

Labsy is offline Elite Member

Just to mention one of the greatest disadvantages of Zimbra Desktop versus Outlook: Zimbra Desktop is like a web-based client, so it does not allow you to create messages with images included. You can only send images as attachments.

Thread Information