Thread: Outlook doesn't send and receive after resuming from hibernate

kelsey is offline Member

Default Outlook doesn't send and receive after resuming from hibernate

Every day, I have to restart outlook twice. Once when I get into the office in the morning, and once when I get home. The laptop is hibernating in between. If I do a send/receive, nothing happens.

I have determined that about 75% of the time, going offline and then online again will cause it to come to life again, but that's really annoying and not 100%.

Connector version 5.0.16_GA_2923. I read elsewhere that it has a new feature to auto-detect offline mode. It seems like this is mis-firing.

It's made even worse by the fact that the send/receive dialog claims to have worked, when in fact it did nothing. This means it effectively silently fails, and I only know that it's not working by viewing my email using a different UI and reconciling.

fsiegel is offline Zimbra Employee

Are soap requests being made when you do the send receive? Can you send a zco log file for when you do one and nothing happens?

Also, where did you read "that it has a new feature to auto-detect offline mode"?

kelsey is offline Member

Hi,

Ive attached the zimbra log here zco-20091027T085226.765-OUTLOOK.EXE-2120.zip . You can see at around 930pm I reopened the computer after shutting it down at around 420pm. I hit send and receive a few times, with nothing happening. I can check my email independently in the intervening time on my phone so I know there are more emails.

This link has the info about auto-detecting online state

http://files.zimbra.com/website/docs...on%20Suite.pdf

Thanks for looking into this!

kelsey is offline Member

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kelsey View Post
    This link has the info about auto-detecting online state
    Auto-detecting the on-line state is not the same as resuming from Hibernation, if you do a web search you'll find that Outlook has problems connecting when resuming from hibernation. However, if there is a problem that can be fixed then fsiegel should be able to sort you out.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

kelsey is offline Member

yes, no doubt that's different, I just noted that sometimes flicking to offline mode and back again in outlooks seemed to kick it out of the funny state it's in. I would note that everything else connected through the internet works fine.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

yes, no doubt that's different, I just noted that sometimes flicking to offline mode and back again in outlooks seemed to kick it out of the funny state it's in.
    Yes, that would do it as Hibernate isn't actually disconnecting the NIC but dropping the connection does.

I would note that everything else connected through the internet works fine.
    Yes, I'm sure it does.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

fsiegel is offline Zimbra Employee

Well, there are a couple of things going on here, but I'm still not sure yet if we can do anything about it.

it looks like when the computer comes on again at 21:33, we trying to do a delta GAL sync, but the connection to the server seems to be gone:

Zimbra::Rpc::Connection::WinHttpAsyncCallback: ERROR: REQUEST_ERROR - error 12030

You might try turning off GAL sync (Tools->Send/Receive->Global Address List, and set it to Manual. I doubt that will change anything, but it's worth a try. You also might want to check mailbox.log and see when you lost your connection to the server.

I think the other big thing is that we think that a sync is already going on from before. At the end of the log, we see the message:

A sync is already in progress for this store. Not initiating another sync

So is seems like something didn't shut down correctly. You have a reasonably late version of ZCO (5.0.16)-- it's possible that a later version might be better, but I doubt it. And I see that you've got Outlook 2007 with the latest service packs, so you're ok there.

It's possible there is something wrong in the code that checks offline, etc. Will have to test this out. For now, switching to offline and online is probably your best bet.

kelsey is offline Member

OK, well thanks for the review. I hope your engineering team is able to identify the issue.

Thread Information