Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Outlook Debug Error message

exitcomestothis is offline Junior Member

Exclamation [SOLVED] Outlook Debug Error message

ZCS Connector: 5.0.10
    ZCS Server: 5.0.10_GA_2639

We have a machine that has outlook 2007 installed, and uses this connector. Whenever the user tries to send an email, they are immediately displayed with an error that says Debug Assertion Failed on line 1717 with expression g_pgaddinInstance.

We have tried uninstalling, and reinstalling both outlook, and the connector, however the problem still persists. I have setup logging and crash reporting for the ZCS connector, and gathered the information from msinfo32.exe, as advised on the outlook connector support wiki page.

Any help regarding this issue is appreciated.

fsiegel is offline Zimbra Employee

This is undoubtedly bug 29825. See comments 2 and 5 in this bug, and see if this resolves your problem. This seems to happen sporadically, and we haven't yet found the cause.

Any info you have regarding any actions you performed right before the errors happened would be helpful. Did the connector on this machine ever work correctly?

exitcomestothis is offline Junior Member

I have tried unregistering, and re registering the sharingaddin.dll file, however the problem still persists.

The connector worked for a short period of time on the machine when it was in use by another user, but still had that error. I can't remember the exact steps/methods that I used to remedy the issue at that time, but it did work. When this machine went to a new user, we removed the old users email account, and added the new users account to outlook, then the errors started again.

To try and fix this issue, I've tried reinstalling outlook, both 2003 and 2007, re registering the sharingddin.dll, recreating the user account, and reinstalling the connector.

In bug #29825, there was mention of a shared calendar registry setting? What is this setting exactly, and is there anything I should check there? As this user does make use of shared calendars on this machine.

I assume the shared calendar registry setting just means that the SharingAddin is registered. In Outlook 2007, what happens if you do:

Tools->Trust Center->Addins Then go to the bottom where is says Manage:

COM Addins should be selected. Hit Go...

Does the Zimbra Sharing Addin show up checked?

What about when you select Exchange Client Extension. Does Zimbra Client Extension show up checked?

atulbutte is offline New Member

Default Same error for me: Debug Assertion addin.cpp Line 1771

Same issue for me. Have this error with ZCO 5.0.16.2, had it with 5.0.15 and 5.0.14. Running Outlook 2007, no other addins installed. Just did a completely fresh reinstall of all of Office with wipe-out of all associated Outlook directories, and I still get this Assertion Failed when sending every e-mail. Running Vista SP2, but had the error back in SP1 too. Running Office 2007 SP1, but had this error before upgrading that as well.

The exact message is:

Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library
    Debug Assertion Failed!
    Program: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE
    File: c:\src\franklin-5016\mapi\src\sharingaddin\addin.cpp
    Line: 1771

Expression: g_pAddinInstance

For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts.

I was advised to try the regsvr32 /u sharingaddin.dll and regsvr32 sharingaddin.dll, which doesn't change anything.

At the very least, is there any easy way to suppress all Assertions in the Outlook Connector? Any registry flag for this?

Quote Originally Posted by exitcomestothis View Post
    ZCS Connector: 5.0.10
    ZCS Server: 5.0.10_GA_2639

We have a machine that has outlook 2007 installed, and uses this connector. Whenever the user tries to send an email, they are immediately displayed with an error that says Debug Assertion Failed on line 1717 with expression g_pgaddinInstance.

We have tried uninstalling, and reinstalling both outlook, and the connector, however the problem still persists. I have setup logging and crash reporting for the ZCS connector, and gathered the information from msinfo32.exe, as advised on the outlook connector support wiki page.

Any help regarding this issue is appreciated.

Unfortunately, we never seem to be able to find the scenario that causes this. The issue is that when this happens, COM is not instantiating our addin correctly. The Assertion is there to let us know this fact. When we submit mail, we access our addin -- the reason the message gets sent anyway is that we send through the MAPI spooler if our send fails.

I could yank the ASSERT, but it indicates that a serious problem exists. In this situation, a lot of other things may not work correctly.

There is probably something messed up in the registry when this happens -- I will continue to try to get to the bottom of this.

exitcomestothis -- you said you did an msinfo32.exe. Could you post the results of that? Maybe it will give me a hint

Actually, this post was helpful:

I assume the shared calendar registry setting just means that the SharingAddin is registered. In Outlook 2007, what happens if you do:
    Tools->Trust Center->Addins Then go to the bottom where is says Manage:
    COM Addins should be selected. Hit Go...
    Does the Zimbra Sharing Addin show up checked?
    What about when you select Exchange Client Extension. Does Zimbra Client Extension show up checked

When I look at this, Zimbra Sharing Addin is NOT checked. When I check it, Outlook puts in the Load Behavior field "Not loaded. Certificate of signed and load at startup COM Add-in is not in trusted source List." When I restart Outlook, no error dialog appears. But when I look again at the Trust Center, the add-in is again not checked, and the Assertion behavior is still present.

This error "message" might be key, as I am guessing this important add-in is not loading for me. Not clear why. A Google search on this message brings up similar problems for other Add-in developers (Plaxo and Newsgator), with as of yet unknown explanations.

Problem with New install Vista Ultimate+ Office 2007 Ultimate

Upgrade to version 2.6.7 of Inbox not working with Outlook 2007

Windows Add-In continues to be disabled by Outlook 2007 - Plaxo Forums

Ryan's Look at Outlook Programmability : New articles and more

There are work-arounds proposed on these sites re: macro security... I can try them and report back here.

Could there be something set by my Administrators in the Security Policy that requires a particular kind of signed certificate in place to get this add-in loaded?

This Assertion drives me nuts, as if I hit enter too quickly after any e-mail I send, the Assertion dialog brings down Outlook completely, requiring a painful restart and recheck of PST files. I am really interested in helping you hunt down the cause of this problem.

-- Atul

Default solution found

I finally solved this. The COM add-in is not being loaded. When i try to check the Zimbra Startup and Shutdown add-in, i was getting a message under Load Behavior "Not loaded. Certificate of signed and load at startup COM Add-in is not in trusted source list"

I switched my Macro Security down to "Warnings for all macros", down from "Warnings for signed macros; all unsigned macros are disabled." Now, the add-in is finally working. I never realized that Zimbra actually adds menu items to Outlook, I had never seen these before!

Is the add-in distributed by Zimbra signed?

Quote Originally Posted by fsiegel View Post
    Unfortunately, we never seem to be able to find the scenario that causes this. The issue is that when this happens, COM is not instantiating our addin correctly. The Assertion is there to let us know this fact. When we submit mail, we access our addin -- the reason the message gets sent anyway is that we send through the MAPI spooler if our send fails.

I could yank the ASSERT, but it indicates that a serious problem exists. In this situation, a lot of other things may not work correctly.

There is probably something messed up in the registry when this happens -- I will continue to try to get to the bottom of this.

Great news. Thanks for solving this. AFAIK, we don't do any specific signing of the addin. There may be other scenarios that cause the addin not to be loaded, but this is probably the one that has affected other users as well.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information