Thread: Yet another GAL problem with Outlook 2007

mozg31337 is offline Active Member

Default Yet another GAL problem with Outlook 2007

Hello everyone.

First time Zimbra NE trial installation. Everything seems to be working fine, but have a problem with GAL on all user accounts. GAL is simply now shown in Outlook 2007. Zimbra NE 5.0.15 downloaded today and installed in vmware image on Ubuntu 8.4.2 with latest updates. Client system is Windows XP with latest patches + Outlook 2007. I guess all the tech info is included in the log file from outlook connector.

Problem description (reproduced on at least 3 accounts):

1. Installed Outlook connector and setup the Zimbra server, username/password.
    2. Initial synchronisation finished without any errors/warnings
    3. Forced the manual update of GAL
    4. Opened Address Books from the Tools Menu
    5. The list of address book showed 2 things: Outlook Address Books -> Contact List
    6. Global Address List is not shown. Autocomplete does not work for GAL
    7. closed outlook and restarted it again for the second time from the installation of Zimbra Connector
    8. Opened Address Books - now I do not see any address book listed at all. The Address Books showed Contact List after the first time Outlook+Zimbra was installed and run, but the second outlook running and consecutive times I run outlook, no address book is show. Field is empty, but the contacts can be added and seen from the Contacts bar in Outlook. The contacts are also visible in Web interface after they are created in Outlook

Please note that this behaviour is reproduced on several accounts and no warnings or errors are shown under Send/Receive or when I manually update the GAL.
    Also, GAL works perfectly fine from a web interface for all users. Zimbra Desktops works fine as well. The problem seems to be with the outlook connector.

Any help on solving this issue is highly apreaciated as it is the only issue that i've found so far that stops us from Zimbra install.

Many thanks

andrei
    Attached Files Attached Files

Userx is offline New Member

Default Similar problem

I have a similar problem. XP user running O2K7. GAL not displaying. I started with .12 Connector and just upgraded to .15. I forced manual GAL update and got 100% success. I restarted, reloaded, etc and still cannot see the GAL.
    Any responses?

mozg31337 is offline Active Member

This forum is very busy, but no one is helping to sort out this issue. From what i can see, GAL seems to be like a common issue amongst Outlook users and it should be sorted out before we make a switch over from exchange to Zimbra. I can't even show it to the management in this state as they'll just say that it is not a finished product and they are not willing to be beta testers.

Has anyone from Zimbra development can help out? I've included a 3mb txt log file in my previous post.

Thanks in advance for all help

Andrei

gnyce is offline Advanced Member

Default mapi issue?

First, I'm an NE user and we do not see this problem (OL2003/2007) using the ZCO. Second, I'm not a MAPI or Outlook expert, but I did have to jump through some hoops on my side to get this to ZCO to work - not the ZCO's fault, but the fact that we had previously installed a version of GroupWise with some old MAPI files (e.g. Windows Messaging) that was really messing things up. Something like that, OR more likely a conflicting Outlook Add-In are probably the best choices for your problem.

From your posted log, I see this:

01-04-2009 23:46:09.511 [2228]: Zimbra::Store::ZimbraMAPIFolder::QueryInterface. forwarding request to inner
    01-04-2009 23:46:09.511 [2228]: QueryInterface this(03297458) inner(037079D0) iid({02813f9b-751c-4f59-8c7d-d93842db05e0}): unknown returning hr(80004002)

Which could be an OLE or MAPI error (or could be completely unrelated).

So troubleshooting steps would be - verify the MAPI stuff - and more than likely, if it was a big MAPI problem, you would see lots of other issues - and then try disabling all Add-Ins and see if the problem continues to occur. Would also remove anything extra/extraneous in your MAPI profile for Zimbra, if only to start bare and see if the problem continues to exist.

For me, on WinXP:
    mapistub.dll - 1.0.2536
    mapi32.dll - 1.0.2536

fsiegel is offline Zimbra Employee

It sounds like mozg31337 and Userx have different issues.

mozg's issue sounds like one of configuration. If GAL is not displaying from the dropdown, that sounds as the address book may not be configured right. This could be because some other software (Groupwise?) was left over and borked something. I did look in mozg's log file, and I see GAL queries happening, but nothing ever being added to the GAL. I wonder if there is a problem with the .idm (mapper) file. You could try deleting that and doing it again. This log shows a delta sync. What happens on an initial sync (new profile)?

Userx's issue is more familiar in one sense -- where the GAL doesn't show up immediately. Depending on the size, an initial sync of the GAL can take awhile. I have also noticed that the GAL used to show up more quickly -- now it seems to take awhile. Generally, forcing the update (Tools->Send Receive->Global Address List-> Update Global Address List) gets it to show up. The weird part is after restarting the GAL was not visible. For that, I would like to see some logs.

Thread Information