Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shared calendar sync fails, outlook.exe won't close normally

buttadee is offline Active Member

Question shared calendar sync fails, outlook.exe won't close normally

I searched for awhile in the forum to try not to double-up, but I couldn't find an existing issue that seemed to match up. Basically, shared calendars are constantly trying to sync in the Zimbra progress window, but keep failing (and then keep trying to sync) and therefore when you try to exit Outlook (File > Exit), outlook.exe & winword.exe just will not quit on their own. Many minutes pass, no dice. Seems like the sync prevents outlook from letting go. The calendars themselves seem to open fine and be operational, but I wouldn't know if a particular appt is missing.

More detail: This user is in a small department and we're trying to open several shared calendars in Outlook 2003 with ZCO 5.0.10. The calendars are of her colleauges--most are view-only, one or two gave her manager role, and there are 5 people's calendars total. I've tried creating a brand new profile in Outlook for her. I've tried closing the shares and then moving the relevant .zdb and .idm files out of the default location to force new ones to be created. In all cases, I just get Unknown error in the zimbra progress window when I highlight the failed syncs, and it keeps trying again as soon as it fails. So there's constant action with syncing that never finishes. Two of the calendars failed once and then synced successfully, but I can't figure out a pattern. Some of the other users in the department use ZCO as well (same versions) and we just noticed failures in the sync to other people's calendars in this department as well. How would I be able to detect if something's corrupted in a particular calendar?

What I've tried:
    ZCO logs were copious (twelve 10 MB files during the 1-2 min. it took to open outlook and recreate). I'm not sure where I should send the logs since I don't want to post them publicly. Also, thanks to fsiegel's post elsewhere, i just learned how the heck to show the Sync Issues folder and there were no new msgs generated there beyond the time I started trying to open shared calendars in the new profile. (There was one Local Failure message upon creating the new profile, mostly referencing problems with appointments with a user no longer with us, but again, that was prior to introducing the shares anyway.)

Outlook needs to close properly so that it will (a.) store cached addresses properly, (b.) start up properly again, and (c.) probably a host of reasons that I'm not even aware of at the moment! I cringe every time I have to kill the outlook.exe process.

Thanks in advance,
    Brandi

Haphazard is offline Junior Member

I have been having exactly the same issues with a number of clients installed recently. Thanks, buttadee, for such an exacting description of the problem.

At first, I thought it was a Vista/Outlook2007 occurrence (and a 64-bit one to boot), but have since had it occur on XP/Outlook2003 installs as well.

It is entirely restricted to shared calendars, and looking in the Zimbra Show Progress window shows failures that constantly stop at about the same number of kilobytes each time, and just keep trying.

Anyone have any ideas?

buttadee is offline Active Member

Well Haphazard, I notice we both have the same server version (5.0.10, different Linux flavors, though). I wonder if that is important or just coincidence? I have sent my logs to a Zimbra employee who noticed what looks like corrupt/bizarre data in the calendar of the person I'm trying to view. I will need to look over the shoulder of that user once I know some of the specific appointments that are causing trouble. He indicated that it was mostly recurring appts that were problematic.

We only rolled out the calendar portion of ZCS to users two weeks ago. The calendar data therefore is mostly comprised of "stuff that came from our old server." (We were on an old Oracle Collab. suite version; used a 3rd party to convert us to Zimbra) So it's not inconceivable that the conversion process caused trouble with some appointments. I didn't know how to check for all this prior to the rollout, since it certainly doesn't happen to everyone, and b/c the web client appears fine.

I'll post more as I learn it.

I've been suspecting that there must be some corrupt data in the calendar in question.

It would be great if there were some way to figure out which appointments were causing the problem, though I have no idea how to go about this.

The calendar in question that is causing our problem is managed by one user (who enters data on it as a shared calendar), but shared for viewing with up to 50 more users. All entries were entered by hand by that one individual, using the Outlook Connector.

I'm tempted to go back and look through all recurring events in the calendar and delete them to see if that clears things up.

Let me know what you find out!

fsiegel is offline Zimbra Employee

To figure out the bad appts, turn on ZCO logging, restart Outlook, do a sync that causes your problem, and close Outlook. [You don't need verbose logging; it's good to turn on Http logging, however. ] Then look at the logs. Look for something like:

Convert. Exception thrown!! or maybe just Exception thrown!

Right under that, we should be dumping the appointment. Look at the PR_SUBJECT property.

So I turned on logging and there seem to be a number of exceptions on calendar appointments when trying to do this initial sync.

Anyone with more experience than me want to take a look at the log file and tell me what you think might be going on?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Haphazard's problem looks the same as buttadee's problem. I see lots of Exception thrown!! 80004003, which is an E_POINTER problem. This points to weird data, so I'll ask the same question:

How did this data get in the Zimbra calendar in the first place? Was it some migration of some weird Oracle stuff, or some other third party stuff? This can cause these types of errors, because Outlook is much more picky than the Zimbra Web client.

I notice you're using 5.0.10, which is old new. We have done much more work in calendar conversion (we're up to 5.0.15 now), and we also report and log local failures in a much better way. I suggest an upgrade to 5.0.15 if at all possible.

To find bad appts, in Haphazard's log, I see a lot of:

"CreateAppointment failed to init sync appointment id". This is followed by an id, i.e.

CreateAppointment failed to init sync appointment id(3088)

3088 is the Zimbra id. This log is not verbose, but you can tell the name of the appt by looking for GetAppointmentResponse and appt id= followed by that number. Then look for the next instance of name=, and you should see the name. There are about 7 bad appointment in there.

Thank you, fsiegel.

I'll use your advice to see if I can weed out the 7 or so bad appointments. I'll report if I can get it solved.

And, no, the data in this calendar hasn't come from anywhere other than created by one user, working on this calendar as manager of a shared calendar, and she exclusively uses the Outlook Connector. Nothing 3rd party or Oracle or anything.

My service provider hasn't upgraded the server from version 5.0.10 of the server. Can I upgrade to a newer connector (5.0.15 as you suggest) while the server is still on 5.0.10, or will that cause problems? And if it would work, do you know where I'd get the newer connector?

Thanks!

5.0.15 ZCO with a 5.0.10 server is a bit of a stretch, but it might work. We generally say you should update the server first, and you can run older ZCOs with newer servers. Running newer ZCOs with older servers can be problematic depending on what's been implemented, but in this case it might be ok. It's worth a try just to see.

As far as where to get it, it's release, so I imagine 5.0.15 is on the support portal. I would think you would get it the same way you got 5.0.10 ZCO.

Thanks. I suspect I won't chance it until my email provider upgrades. Since I am just the local tech guy in our office, I just get the connector from the Admin Console, and it just provides the version that is the same as the server version. I don't have access to the Support portal.

So I'll just be patient. Really appreciate your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information